Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Ticking

Old 03-31-2002, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking

I've posted about this before, and I've even come accept it as part of my car, but it still baffels me. The car ticks like a giant watch half the time I drive it, then it goes away; comes back...sometimes really loud, sometimes very low....I can't figure it out..every time I get an oil change or tune up, it goes away for about 2 weeks, then it starts to come back...when I went down to York PA...it didn't tick at all...I'm starting to believe that it has to do w/ atmosphereic preasures.. rolleyes.gif ..any advice on how to smooth it out or get rid of it for good are appreciated!!
Old 03-31-2002, 05:39 AM

might have a valve tap... check your oil.. smile.gif
Old 03-31-2002, 09:08 AM

ive got a tick as well... only mine is ALWAYS there. i figured it was my throw out bearing going bad (cause when the clutch was in it didnt click nearly as bad), so when i took my car to the shop for an A/C fix (was middle of the winter tho) i told him what i thought it was and he agreed with me. well it gets warm right... i turn on the A/C and OMG the tick is loud as ****. so im thinkin its my main bearning.

... ive forgotten where im going with this lol. lemme post and read again.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:38 AM

You may have a valve tick. You can try different weight oils to see if it gets worse or not. I don't know how old your car is, but on an engine with alot of miles you sometimes have to switch to a thicker oil becasue as the engine ages and bearings wear the gap gets larger between the bearing and the component. Hope some of this helps
Old 03-31-2002, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Next time you change your oil, use diesel, kerosene or a commercail off-the-shelf bottle of oil flush. It will clean the crud out of your HLAs and I bet the ticking goes away for well over your usual two weeks.

Yes, kerosene or diesel. That's what's in the commercial bottle anyhow. Run a quart of it in the engine for 5 minutes before you change the oil and filter. Do NOT drive with it in your engine.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

like Stocker said. Just one oil change might not get rid of it, but two or three oil changes using the oil flush every time should make it go away for good.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:52 AM

Wow..i actually have a real answer for your problem...same thing with my 95 hyundai scoupe... 1.5 alpha engine... mechanics and i took the valve cover off and went through the lifters to see if there was a tap.....nothing... we rolled the engine over..and checked again..there it was..one of the hydraulic lifters doesnt pressurize half the time... not too much to worry about...but it bothered me..cuz it was on and off..and when your car ticks and u r pullin up to a light and rev your engine...just sounds bad... lol.. the lifter hyundai calls it a lash adjuster ... cost me around 30 bucks..and took about 20 mins to put on .. hope this helped!