Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine Skips A Beat

Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

my engine has been skipping a beat when i accelerate occasionally. tried fuel injector cleaner but problem persists. more common after i drive aggressively and more noticeable if i accelerate heavily on a low gear like from a red light. otherwise it runs, starts great.

i've never had this happen. no codes for it come up. ideas?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:09 AM

I got the same problem...
Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

check your TPS, then
check for improperly gapped spark plugs
There's a million things that could be wrong.
now, because I'm lazy and only mentioning the most likely cause, others will mention all causes of hesitation.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ditto^^ The very first two things I would check. Also, plug wires. You know, you may have gotten a really skunky tank of fuel. Is this a recent problem? From the last fill up or so? If so, you might try getting some fuel stabilizer and running this tank to empty and then getting some high grade fuel. Shell or Chevron or similar.

Also, does it miss when idling as well? Could be a weak trigger sensor as well. Check the first few, those are the easiest, cheapest, and most obvious. Next I would check the cam position sensor.

Maybe coils, but thats getting expensive. I have a pretty good relationship with my local parts shop. I've bought extra parts before to help diagnose problems and they let me bring parts back as long as they are not damaged and look brand new.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

get it a Metronome... wall.gif

Actually I'd check in the order of plugs, wires, coil packs.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you guys are on top of things.

idle runs at 1000rpm SHARP always right on the mark, morning, evening, cold, hot. i have never seen a more perfect and stable idle in any car i've ever driven. well maybe a German car. there is no shaking or rough idle at all. the transmission is excellent, runs excellent.

before i replaced the TPS, it was undriveable and embarassing idle hopping all over. so i changed my Kefico TPS over to one from a '99 Accent. The undriveable horrific idle bouncing stopped immediately. then over the winter it developed this little itch. it's very unnoticeable, but primarily when accelerating from 0 with a passenger, only under heavy load take driving with cement for example, notably in second or third gear.

I put the brand new NGK plugs and wires in myself, with boot grease and anti sieze. the cam position sensor? aww crap lol not another sensor! it must be the coilpack, can i do that myself? it's original '97. the only other thing i can think of is the evap system. i put it all back to stock, every drive test cycle passed but the DTC for evap still hasn't passed since January when I reset the computer hence why the code for that is still on. it won't turn off until that test passes. could this be because there is an O2 nonfouler post-cat? i don't know how that would tamper with performance though.

Maybe coils, but thats getting expensive. I have a pretty good relationship with my local parts shop. I've bought extra parts before to help diagnose problems and they let me bring parts back as long as they are not damaged and look brand new.
HAHA.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Your profile says NONE for your Tiburon year, so we can't really help you.

LOL

I was wondering if you have a 1.8L ECU?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Im pretty sure hes got an RD1....

He says in the the post above yours "it's original '97." (HKC post above redz).
Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I know what he has. It was a stab at him to get him to fill out his profile.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM

O hehe srry. laugh.gif ..

Maby im just dumb but I still dont actually know what the problem is your describing.

Why does you car idle at 1k?

Mines at 800-900.