Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Engine coolant level

Old 03-19-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant level

I checked engine today and noticed that engine coolant is pointing "low" level bar (on the outer plastic). Should I replace my engine coolant or add engine coolant fluid? Or isn't it nothing to worry about... This is weird because my car only has 3000 miles on it.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:15 PM

mine is a '98 i've only had it hit low once.. due to the pipe that runs from the lower radiator to the engine block popping off. (dealership installed the clamp to low so a build up of pressure poped it off it's coupler) i ended up just adding. Took 1/2-1 bottle to fill it back up, odd thing is idiot temp guage didn't note anything wrong. I relized something was wrong when i parked at work, got out of my car and a flood of coolant gushed out from under the engine (scared the crap outta me at first)
Old 03-19-2002, 10:55 PM

I've got almost 6k miles on my Tib and it has swallowed almost a whole extra gallon of coolant. I've checked repeatedly for leaks/puddles of coolant and haven't found any. I just think the dealer didn't fill mine properly. I found the reservoir empty about 3 times (about 3 days between checks), but it has finally remained at levels between the two markers for the last 2 weeks. So to answer you question, you should just be able to add to what is there.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Just make sure you add coolant/water when the engine is hot. As the engine cools, it will suck the coolant in. If you add coolant/water when the engine is cold, and then drive, as the engine warms up, it will dump coolant into the overflow tank, and may overflow.

If you think you might be low, with the engine cold, remove the radiator cap. Add coolant directly into the radiator until it reaches the top. Them "squeeze" the upper radiator hose with your hand. It will force out any additional air bubbles). Then check the overflow tank level again after a drive and cool down session.

[ March 20, 2002, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-20-2002, 08:18 AM

During breakin you may swallow 1/2 a litre or 1/2 a quart of coolant, do as Random said above and it shouldn't go any lower after. I have 60k ( miles ) since break in and not one drop of coolant loss since I readded some. Now I wish my oil level could just do that between oil changes.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:24 AM

My coolant is still right up to the cap, same as the day it was delivered to me. They put 75 mi on it to get it to my dealership though.

I also don't lose a single drop of oil between changes--I go by colour & clarity, I've never seen the level change. Apparently I'm pretty lucky