Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

EBay CAI Split Topic...

Old 01-25-2004 | 05:53 AM

What is going on with that CAI and battery in that link KayJai?
Old 01-25-2004 | 08:16 AM

that is very similar to my cai.. through an enlarged hole in the bottom of the battery area, my cai drops directly down into the innder fender.. you have to shift the battery to the side to make room for it. It JUST clears the radiator fan shroad.
Old 01-25-2004 | 09:17 AM

What did you do about a battery tray? How is it secured?
Old 01-25-2004 | 09:57 AM

moved it.. I had to drill a single hole in the tray and the whole thing bolts back into the car with the stock bolt locations.
Old 01-25-2004 | 10:00 AM

Hmmmm, will have to look into that.

What about changing your corner and headlight bulbs?
The corners I already just pop out because I have a HUGE interstate battery in.
Old 01-25-2004 | 10:31 AM

Yes, that's our own little design.
BV1 (forum name) / Turbotib (name on ebay) / Steve for a lack of a better word "stole" the design and wanted to sell it on Ebay, and we were like, do what ever,... we all had a disscussion about this,... we really don't talk to him much now. He doesn't even drive his tib anymore, sold it to some one in British Columbia and like 2 months later, she rolled it, here are some pix:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/kayjai/wreckedtib1.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/kayjai/wreckedtib2.jpg
Notice the CAI?

Anyway, dibs should be given to Neo_Tib and Jaws01 (pix of the red tib the I've been showing, and is actually a service tech at the dealership here) Neo_Tib had the idea and Jaws01 figured out how to re-mount the battery tray.

Anyway, to add to mad machine, you have to redrill a new hole for the tray. And you know how the tray has the hold down bolt facing the front of the car? Well you flip it around, so it faces the back,... or is it the other way around? I have pix I'll have to dig it up. and explain it all later, but yeah, for like $100 you can make your own CAI, painted and such,... oh here's a pic:
Old 01-25-2004 | 10:44 AM

Very nice....I would be intereseted in looking at that DIY for a possible better fit on my CAI when you get the time....and for the girl that rolled the tibby, I hope she parted that out and didn't just let them total it.
Old 01-25-2004 | 02:29 PM

that looks more or less like mine.. mine just does not have the joint in the middle. I will be modding mine soon though. Going to fab up a better way to mount it through the body.. probably going to weld a flange onto it that can be bolted to the body of the car where it goes through the sheetmetal.. and then get the whole thing ceramic coated to keep the temps down some and make it look better than the red spray paint I have. I also looking to move the battery to the trunk and replace with with an optima.
Old 01-26-2004 | 10:19 PM

Default Body kit for a 97 tib

Before we continue, Java, or Blue, can you move / split the topic when we start to go off topic to the CAI to the Engine forum, thanks laugh.gif

Mad, yeah, steve decided to "modify it", and it is a little cooler, but it's negligible, but with the 1 piece design, it puts a more pressure / stress on that air rubber bent piece (with the branch that goes out) behind the MAF, it wants to straigten it, I DO NOT like that design. Keep an eye on that.

Anyway, Found a better pic of the run of the CAI tube:

In the above pic, that was when it was JUST installed. Still have the IAT sensor hooked up into the top connector (it was tie wrapped onto the inside, we didn't get a chance to get a 3/4" drill bit to drill into the pipe yet for the sensor)

Ok, so basically, to make the tube:
Get yourself a 3" 90Degree bend Exhaust piping.
Cut it in about 1/2
Hone it out if you want, and make sure it's clean, as well as make sure your cuts are smoothen out.
Drill a 3/4" hole on the top tube to put your OEM IAT sensor in (make a dry fit first, and make sure where you want your sensor to be before you drill, that wire is pretty short)

As for the hole in the fender Apron, you have a rectangular hole there now, RD1 or RD2. You basically want to double the size and make it a square. Oh yeah a dye grinder is your BEST friend at this point!
We also put some brake tubing, cut in half, filled with some silicone around the new opening to protect it from rust.
You can use some zip ties to spread it out and secure it! Zip Ties KICK ASS BTW lol.gif

As for the Battery tray, this is a measure a billion times before you drill!
You don't need to make a new hole in the fender apron again, there is a existing hole there you can tap into. The thread size of the bolt escapes me now, but use a longer one than the OEM one you use for the tray.
Anyway, angle the tray and play with it. It's about 2 1/2 inches in from the edge (I think) to drill into there and you should have enough room for the pipe to run and so the battery doesn't hit the headlight / rad.
And you might need some washers / nuts on the bottom of the tray to level it out.
But yeah measure before you drill the hole in the tray, IT IS DIFFERENT FROM RD2 TO RD1!!!! I was the first RD1 to get done, and we drilled it from where the RD2's were and it rubbed against the Headlight cover, so my little 1/2" hole in the tray ended up like a 1" hole, had to use some washers, so it'll hold, but it's secure. Have had it like that for like 2 years now,...

Once that's done you're pretty much set.

Nothing else I can think of right now.
Hope that helps, or I've confused the hell outta ya!
lol.gif
tongue.gif
Old 01-27-2004 | 05:59 AM

Default My Tibby

Great info...and thanks for the split!! wink.gif