Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Down Shifting

Old 05-11-2007 | 10:22 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

please don't shift into first gear while your wheels are moving. think of it like reverse.
Old 05-27-2007 | 03:52 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

Its all personal prefference. Honestly when I am slowing down I down shift all the way till second using that to slow me down. Now assuming you dont rip it from 5k in 5th into 4th sending the rpms to redline your fine. Yes you will indeed slow down faster engine breaking because it will slow you down. It will keep you from skidding. Not completely. But if your traveling at 235mph in second and let off the gas and hit the breaks you would have already been slowing down.
Old 05-27-2007 | 07:29 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 10 2007, 04:37 PM)
. Mad-Machine rode his stock clutch to 130,000 I believe? Until his tib was crushed by a falling tree, otherwise he'd still be driving it.

Actually I literally ran my car into the ground. Drainage ditch to be exact. I should have hit the idiot who pulled out in front of me, probably would have done less damage.

Anyway, yes. I bought my car new and was on the original clutch still at 130,000+ miles when she was totalled. I ALWAYS downshifted when slowing, usually just rev matching. I could get it to within 100rpm of where the next gear would take up so there was no jolt or extra stress to the drivetrain.

I can shift without using the clutch, both up and down shifting. This comes from years of experience driving large diesel trucks for a living. Sometimes it is nice to give your left leg a rest.

The point is, done correctly, downshifting puts no more stress on the engine and trans than using the brakes to slow and stop. It also adds another layer of driving control as it allows you to immediatly speed up if something were to happen as you slow (about to be rear-ended or t-boned?) you can just floor it and dig out with full availible power.

word to the wise though, even if you can and do use your trans to slow down to almost a halt, occasionally tap the brakes to let the person behind you know you are stopping. Most cars on the road today are autos and most drivers have never rowed a stick, so they are looking for your brake lights to let them know you are slowing down
Old 05-27-2007 | 07:57 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

word.gif I actually had a 20 year old guy ask me what I was doing with my shifter. He thought I should just put it in drive and be done with it.