Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Does This Sound Right?

Old 05-13-2002 | 10:47 AM

Default Does This Sound Right?

Ok, I took the little ram air piece of the stock air box and just the box. I noticed a suprisingly noticable increase in power. Then I installed a KN Cone Filter and took the stock box out. Well, I felt more of an increase when I left the stock box in than the K&N. Is it just my imangination?
Old 05-13-2002 | 11:32 AM

hey, I did the same thing to my Sephia, just took everything otu and left the stock piep on for now and noticed an incredible increase in power and sound. Nice deep low growl. Cant wait to get my cold air intake when it comes in.
Old 05-14-2002 | 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ahh, the snorkus mod... this has been known about for many, many moons. Yes it will yield a small increase. Look how many times the air has to turn to get through the stock intake pipe, just to encounter a paper air filter. This is why a CAI is the first mod lots of people do.
Old 05-14-2002 | 08:28 AM

Actually, before I did my custom CAI, I had the good 'ol snorkle mod with a K&N Filter,... it worked great! Ofcourse it can't be a CAI,... but for the price of a K&N DropIn and some dryer duct,... it was good.
Old 05-14-2002 | 08:28 AM

Well, this isn't quite the "snorkus" mod... The snorkus mod is basically where you use dryer hose or something of the sort, run it off of your MAF and down underneath the car, or into the fenderwell, etc. However, there is a slight increase by just putting the filter on your MAF because of the more direct air flow path and a much high amount of air flow available.. However, the cone filter on the MAF will lose some of it's increase in power due to the very hot engine compartment, the cone filter is sucking in that air rather than cool air from outside of the engine bay.
Get a CAI as soon as you can and I'm sure you will notice a much bigger difference over stock than just the cone filter provides. The filter for the CAI will reside in the driver-side fender and will thus be bringing in much cooler air than what is available inside the engine bay.