Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Do you think its worth it to do bolt ons with a lease?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K1 Red Tib
Default Do you think its worth it to do bolt ons with a lease?

I have been thinking about leasing a new Sonata Turbo as a daily driver and saving my tib for the weekends and car shows. I was wondering though how bad is it to put bolt ons, on a leased vehicle? I would probably put a better intake, maybe a FMIC, and BOV. Possibly even boost gauge and controller. Then when its time to turn it in, take everything off, return it to stock, and maybe sell the parts or save them for the next vehicle. Smart idea or dumb?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

I personally wouldn't invest a dime in a vehicle I wasn't going to own, but that's just me. A leased DD that's already turbo? Seems a waste to drop more into it for no real gains.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i've always thought of doing something similar to a lease vehicle.. only problem is if you take it to a strict dealer for maintenance and they find out stuff is after-market, might cause some issues.

I would do it though, but only with mods that wouldn't be a real pain to remove in 2 years.

being able to sell the parts after or only invest in cheaper parts while you have it means you wont really lose much (in my opinion) but you will have more fun over the couple years you have the vehicle.

a cheap FMIC kit can cost less than 300$ or so and have some real gains, especially coupled with a cheap boost controller and a universal wideband (to make sure you dont blow up your lease by upping the boost a few lbs) will make a world of difference in the cars 'fun factor'..

I had only an upgraded FMIC kit, cheap BOV, 4lb higher boost on my neon really and it was a MUCH different beast.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I know a guy who was leasing a vehicle and his cold air intake f*cked up his turbo which caused metal shavings to blow the motor

12000 dollars later the car he had to give back to the lot had a new motor

Sounds like somethin I personally wouldn't wanna f*ck with
Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai accent swap 2.0 turbo

I wouldn't lease a car period.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I see no point in Moding on a leased car. How about buy a GC love it, then do the small mods.

I just got a Rx7 so the Wife can daily our GC no that it is spring, and she drives less than me, so.. it works out, and this lets the Tib Stay safe and dry in my garage!!!