Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

differential ??

Old 10-17-2001 | 02:12 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L
Default differential ??

I was thinking again last night (uh oh...) and i got an idea. Is it possible to weld the differential together in a fwd car the way the rear drive domestics do to have ghetto positraction? I know it would one work in a straight line, but it would make both wheels spin at the same time...

Just a thought. Red? Random?
Old 10-17-2001 | 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Theoretically possible, yes. Good Idea? Hell no.

Actually...now that I think about it...no, I don't think it is possible.

Uh...why, what brought this up?
Old 10-17-2001 | 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Random:
Theoretically possible, yes. Good Idea? Hell no.

Gotta love how diplomatic Random is with these things.
Old 10-17-2001 | 03:09 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Too much time on my hands brought this up honestly. I don't really know what made me think about it, but i really like drag racing and was kinda hoping it would help stop one wheel or the other from spinning into oblivion while the other wheel stays firmly planted to the tarmac. I guess i'll have to stop being cheap and get the real thing!
Old 10-17-2001 | 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Skierd...if you did do it, yes, both drive wheels would have roughly the same power and spin at the exact same speed. The problem is the unequal lenght drive axles screw that theory, because it inherently puts more power to the shorter axle.
Old 10-18-2001 | 02:09 AM
Red

And on a FWD where the drive wheels are also turning, you will completely screw yourself with a welded diff. A RWD vehichle can "deal" with a welded diff because the rear tires do not spin at greatly different speeds while turning -- but a FWD does.

And besides, a welded diff still does not address the actual problem: weak pinion gears.

-Red-
Old 10-18-2001 | 05:02 AM
Red

Just to make what I typed clearer:

Obviously the wheels are always turning what I meant was **directionally** turning. Your RWD tires are always pointed fully straight. When you are turning a corner, the inside rear tire will spin less than the outside rear tire -- or at least it will try wink.gif If you have a welded diff, they actually will continue to spin at the same rate and you'll drag one tire along.

On a FWD vehicle, the tires are not always pointed straight. So when you go to make a turn, the tires will DEFINATELY drag and make rounding a corner a serious beeyotch.

-Red-
Old 10-18-2001 | 05:38 AM

Just convert your car into a 100% drag racer! Weld off all your steering linkages, as well, to ensure that you never have your front wheels misaligned from straight-ahead. You'll have that pesky steering wheel out of the way, and be able to concentrate better on shifting and watching your time.
Old 10-18-2001 | 07:09 AM
Red

LOL! Getting staged at the starting line would be a royal PITA, and you hope you never get ever-so-slightly off course during the run or you're eating wall

Not to mention the difficulty getting the car back around from the finish rundown to the starting lines again wink.gif

-Red-
Old 10-18-2001 | 07:15 AM

Originally posted by Red:
Not to mention the difficulty getting the car back around from the finish rundown to the starting lines again wink.gif

That's what the reverse gear is for.