Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Debating Sign Groves

Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'd love to see more pics of these done on other cars.

Maybe you guys are going about some of this wrong, I mean testing IS warranted, but who said any of US need to do it?

What I'm suggesting is, maybe we should be looking at specifically I4 tuners, like AMS for example, doing these on their cars for testing.

Anyone seen any examples or testing specifically for I4's?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The fun part is, you might be able to have them all simultaneously. The extreme report I saw was 40% better fuel economy but that's got to be an outlier. Bal (here) went from piston-breaking detonation to none on his crappy turbo tune. iheartmyRD went to +1 point on compression on the same fuel.

Your stock ECM can pull fuel and timing within reason. It'd be cool to have some sort of monitoring capability to at least do some before/after readings but I ain't got the $.

Anybody want to donate an OBDII monitoring setup for the cause? smile.gif
Old 04-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

If your really serious about testing hit up Jay-m and see if he can lend one for testing.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

If someone can find a way to get the rest done I have a cylinder head I would be glad to donate when I swap it for a beta 2
Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

It'll be (hopefully not too many more) months before I'm ready but I'll try to remember to ask again when the time draws near. I'm not so sure how much value y'all would get out of it, though, because I'm hoping to be comparing apples to oranges . . . new pistons w/ new rings, new head, etc.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM

QUOTE (Stocker @ Apr 22 2009, 06:44 PM)
It'll be (hopefully not too many more) months before I'm ready but I'll try to remember to ask again when the time draws near. I'm not so sure how much value y'all would get out of it, though, because I'm hoping to be comparing apples to oranges . . . new pistons w/ new rings, new head, etc.

Feedback is feedback; there's not much you can really do about it now wink1.gif

I didn't do a back-to-back comparison of my quench clearance, and I don't know anyone else who's done it on a Hyundai G4xx motor. But hey, I think it was gonna help, so I did it smile.gif Which is exactly why everyone in the thread who thinks it will help them just might as well do the same.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Now THAT I could do. Measure what the clearances & quench are w/ stock setup, I mean. It could be done with the old head gasket, or it could be done without a gasket. . . or both, what would be better? Using the old gasket, you don't know for sure how much more it crushed the second time around. Using no gasket, at least you can have something like a baseline for considering aftermarket gaskets with known crushed thicknesses.