Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Death Of The Tranny?

Old 11-17-2006 | 11:41 PM

ive been running really high power numbers on my auto tranny for almost 2 years (with two different motors) and my tranny hasnt died (bare in mind i have 2 external tranny coolers)... and mine is an 03 gk automatic. Did hyundai change anything with the RD and the GK?
Old 11-20-2006 | 02:22 PM

So if I was looking into doing a auto/manual tranny swap, what is the best place to find a manual tranny and all assorted parts? Ebay, a junkyard? And what do you do with the auto shifter area? Does that all pop out or what?

Also, a guy at work here who I would have help me was mentioning requiring hydraulic fluid for the clutch release system. Looking at the DIY, it appears that the clutch release cable attaches directly to the release cylinder. Am I looking at that right?

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-21-2006 | 06:24 AM

through the winter and into the pring my local wreckers get a lot of tibs in that kids drove into poles in the winter time. last year there were mostly 97's with 1.8l and mixed tranny's, im hoping this will progress into some 2.0l and 5 spd cars this year, i was going to try and make a routine of yanking the whole drivetrain, i figured the local guys could use them and I would like one on the shelf as a project. a spare 5spd tranny or 2 would be good to have.
Old 12-05-2006 | 09:58 AM

So I finally got a diagnosis. I broke the reverse spline on the tranny. I assume then something got into the valve body and was causing my shifting problems too. The mechanic wasn't too high on these Mitsubishi style automatic transmissions. Do they have a bad rep? (Well, besides Mitsubishi having a bad rep until the evo wink1.gif )
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:06 AM

90's Eclipses got a bad rep for their problems with Crank Walk...
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Its a problem thats blown out of proportion.... any motor can crank walk. the 1G Eclipses had no problems with crankwalk, even though some had a 6 bolt crank like the 7 bolt. The 1G Eclipses that came with the 7 bolt have the oil squirters that the 6-bolt crank motors in 1G Eclipses have so they didn't have problems.

My 2G 98 GSX was pushing around 300whp more than stock on race gas when I sold it with no problems, me and a few DSM friends tore down the motor and with ~30,000 miles (majority race miles) the crank was in excellent condition and had very little play. The bearings were also good. In stock form they had no problems with it, DSMers just get in their minds the 4G63T is invulnerable and they can push a pissload of hp and not take care of it... or they probably rebuilt the motor improperly in the first place.

A stock 4G63T motor walking is practically unheard of.

I'd also like to see 120,000-150,000 mile Beta, or any other import, motors push double the HP they came with retain near stock compression.
Old 12-05-2006 | 06:49 PM

^^^ He was getting the impression from the guy already, I just told him why that might be...

I like the 90's Eclipses, the first time I bought a car it was between a 98 GST and the Tib. The GST had upgraded turbo, BOV, Tranny work, Short shifter, custom kill-switch swapped with Hazard light button. I REALLY liked it but the guy was asking to much for it.... so Tib it was...
Old 12-06-2006 | 09:50 AM

Nothing wrong with Mitsus man. When I was growing up, all I ever wanted was a twin turbo 3000GT. It was always the first car I bought in Gran Turismo, I had one up to 1000hp and doing 220mph, it was nice. Unfortunately, A) They discontinued them before I got out of college, and B) I never heard a owner give them a good recommendation, only that they where in the shop a lot and expensive. I would be interested in an EVO, but they don't seem that common up in Portland, so I do not know what they are running for $$$. The WRX reigns supreme up here, to bad I don't fit in them for crap.
Old 12-06-2006 | 11:17 AM

hey man search on Ebay for some trannys from junkyards. Then email the companies and see if there willing to get the parts for the swap. I got mine tranny >45k miles and all parts needed for swap shipped for $825. But a lot of companies I ran into didn't want to go back to the car and pull out all the extra parts.

And I agree with Alex. Buy that cheepo auto tranny one that will/could servive for quite some time while you gain up enough $$$ to get parts for the swap.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:23 PM

So I decided to take it into a shop. I have no garage and its way to cold to ride my bike to work everyday. Anyways, I get a nice phone call today with the mechanic asking how long my speedometer hasn't been working for. Umm, dude, it worked on the way in, and HMA shows that it comes right of the tranny, so, WTF?!?!? He then proceeded to ask who did all the mods on my car. I was thinking, I know you are not going to blame my crap for why you can't get something working.

Why do mechanics make me so nervous. Doesn't 2 grand get you quality and customer service these days?