Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

custom CAI. with some pics

Old 10-17-2001 | 08:58 AM

the intake supports itself from the bottom. The factory plastic on the bottom makes sure that the intake cannot fall out and the rubber is pretty sturdy stuff. Yes the white pipe is pvc and yes it will hold up to the underhood temps if you were wondering!
I have been building intakes for people for around three years and I have never had 1 problem from any that I have built from PVC!
The stuff is pretty tuff it holds up well to heat but I do recomend that you keep it as far from the exhaust as possible! If it was really close to the exhaust yes it would melt most plastic will!

We plan on moving the pipe into the fenderwell but ran outa time last night this is just temp set up unless yellowtib is happy with it!
But thanks to all who replied!
Oh yea total cost of the intake sofar around 40 bucks SWEET ain't it!
Old 10-17-2001 | 01:18 PM

I`m impressed with the set up. Are the 2 elbows made of rubber? What inlet size? And finally, where did you buy them?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2001 | 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

accent1, what did you do with the air sensors from the original airbox. i have wanted to do something similar, but don't want to deal with the sensors....
Old 10-17-2001 | 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tib

the MAF sensor we did not move, it stayed in the samr place, the air temp sensor that was in the air box we put in the side of the rubber elbo. we got all of the supplies, except the filter at home depot.
Old 10-18-2001 | 12:08 AM

Is it possible to paint it? yellow would look sweet!
Old 10-18-2001 | 12:21 AM

I am glad that the intake is supported. I would still recomend that you heat wrap that puppy. You should search and find the intake built by Tunez. Your's is basicly the same thing with some basic differences. When I researched those plumbing connectors I simply couldn't trust those rubber connectors. Now I know that most CAI's that you can order have connectors. I also know that most have silicon connectors instead of rubber to prevent both shrinking and melting. I am sure that the PVC pipe will be fine I was just concerned about your connectors. Keep us posted on how it holds up. I am intrested in building one but I may goe with The Random special. Thanks again for posting a pic.
Old 10-18-2001 | 08:04 AM

Painting the rubber yellow could be done but a imagine that it would be a pain in the arse

Like I said before if you try to keep the intake as far from the exhaust it will do just fine!

My entire intake is made from PVC I have had it for almost 1 year now and have had no troubles from mine it workes really good!

I would have used black pvc but I didn't have any all of the pipes are 3" with one adapter for the filter a 3" to 2" filter goes on the 2" side but the rest is all 3"
even the rubber elbows!
Old 10-18-2001 | 12:02 PM

looks good man! smile.gif