Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

custom CAI. with some pics

Old 10-17-2001 | 12:24 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tib
Default custom CAI. with some pics

last night i went over to Accent 1's house and we made a cutom CAI for my car. we used 3' pipe with an APC filter. I can tell a huge difference over the old airbox, its much faster and louder smile.gif. thanks alot accent 1. here are some pics. http://members.tripod.com/yellowtiburon/id20.htm
Old 10-17-2001 | 03:05 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

I agree you did a very nice job with the CAI.
Old 10-17-2001 | 03:12 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon

swwet job man! Is that just 3" plumbing pipe that you used? I've been lookin all around in hardware stores for some sort of piping that might work but haven't had any luck yet... again nice job!
Old 10-17-2001 | 03:49 AM

yellow tib did you just hang the air filter on the end facing the ground?
on my 97 elantra i have a 4 inch tube running from the filter down almost like yours except i ran the tube right behind the openign of the radiator and the frame.i originally had it under and back up through the front of the car but every time i hit a bump it would scrape. there is a thin meatal between the engine bay and the front that has nothing to do with the bumper mount. i wanted to dremal it to a 4 in hole so i could run straight through. anyone have any idea what its use is?
ltr
Old 10-17-2001 | 04:09 AM

thanks for the comments, accent 1 did most the work, i held the falsh light, haha
the air filter went almost straight down and sits to the right of the radiator if your standing infront of the car.
Old 10-17-2001 | 05:13 AM

Concerns,
The ruber in those connectors will probably melt or burn being that close to the engine block, head, and exhaust manifold. Second you seem to have a large amount of un-supported weight. That intake may vibrate and either your filter will bounce down and smack the ground or simply break off. It may be supported but I can not tell from the pics. I hope that none of this has happened yet.
Old 10-17-2001 | 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Concerns... If the entire run of the CAI is unsupported, you will eventually crack/rip the rubber elbow that connects to the TB.

If you can, just "zip tie" it to some other support, so it does not move or rattle. Support as much of the weight as you can with the zip ties, and that will keep the Rubber Elbow from ripping.

If you can...add one more 90 elbow were the filter currently, and add a 6"-8" section into the fender well, then add your filter back on (you will have to cut through the engine heatshield. The hole in the hard plastic heatshield helps support the weight/limit the movement of the CAI, and it also puts your filter in a more protected location, and it is cooler air to boot!
Old 10-17-2001 | 07:16 AM

the intake is in there very tight, even if something came lose it still would not fall out, there is a plastic thing under the filter which prevents the intake from hanging any lower, and i have driven with the intake on now for over 100 miles and no problems with melting.