Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Crankshaft Problems

Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got this 01 elantra 2.0l engine in my shop that i'm reworking to drop in my tiburon. i pull the head and oil pan, pistons and rods, only to find that my crank is trashed. some hunk of metal made its way between the crank and rod bearing and spun the bearing. not to mention milling a large groove in my crank. now i have this other 99 tiburon that i wrecked about a year ago, i started it up and it runs fine so i yank out the engine to steal its crank... but then i find out that the 01 crank has 8 counterweights as opposed to the older cranks with 4.

my question: does it matter ? can i still swap them out ?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I know the counterweights are there to balance the crank. It shouldn't matter at all as long as the crank is balanced. Like the wheels on your car, some require 4 weights while some require none. What does matter is the size of the crank diameter. Take measurements.

Can you post a picture of the counterweights for me?
Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 PM

only of the new engine.. i haven't taken the 99 engine down yet. i wasn't concerned with the weights, more along the lines of will the crank position sensor still read (because i understand they're different) and things like that

hopefully this link works for you
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...0c-85f1db9589d2
Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If the toothed wheel on the crank is the same type (60-2 IIRC) and diameter, and in the same location in the engine block, the crank position sensor should work.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 AM

Yo Trogdor,
Did you come right?
Just wondering as i want to replace my engine from beta 1 to beta 2.

Thanks