Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Crankshaft knife-edging

Old 08-17-2010 | 06:49 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon FX
Default Crankshaft knife-edging

Found a shop that does this locally for pretty cheap and I have some questions.

I've tried looking on google to see the types of gains people get from this and found nothing. So:

What sort of gains would this yeild if any?

Any reasons why I should not do this?
Old 08-17-2010 | 09:35 AM

Vehicle: '97 X3

pros
reduce crankshaft mass = faster rev up
increase crankshaft counterbalance ability to go through the oil = less 'impact' and power robbing friction

cons
can be done too much = weak crankshaft = BOOOOM

i cant think of much else this late at night (Aus time hehe)
Old 08-17-2010 | 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I don't see how you can possibly do this without having aftermarket rods/pistons. Perhaps titanium rods....
The amount of mass requiring removal from the counterbalancers would be extreme to get them "knife-edged". So to counterbalance them, you'd need MUCH lighter parts on the opposite end.

And since our crank isn't submerged in oil, I don't see it giving you much gain anyways.
Old 08-17-2010 | 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Like Jon mentioned, its useless for our setup. Run stock crank, and get the rotating assembly balanced.
Old 08-19-2010 | 08:59 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Not useless by any stretch. The question is will the cost be worth the gain?
Keep in mind that by shearing metal off the crank, not only is there the loss of durability, but also the potential for balance related problems.
I also have been told on a number of occasions that knife edge sucks for daily driving and winds up totally changing oil delivery. Not sure if that relevant for betas though.

Extra rotational force would be nice, especially paired with a light flywheel for high end power on n/a engines.
Personally, if you plan to go turbo, I would highly advise against it. Not much, if any, low-end improvement and weakens a perfectly good crank, which will be needed for high boost apps.

My 2¢