Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

cooler without scoop

Old 12-17-2001 | 11:52 PM

Default cooler without scoop

I was recently thinking of alternative ways of cooling off my engine bay without having to cut a vent or scoop out. I remember that back in the day when I had V.W. beetles we used hood spacers to increase airflow into the engine bay. This process involved replacing the hood latches with taller ones. This was a very common mod to do and relatively cheap. I was thinking that this mod could increase airflow through the engine bay in any one of our cars also.
Check this link posted by long: http://www.hituning.com/zboard/data/spe_twin_e1.jpg
You will notice that this tib has some sort of spacer on the hood attachment points. Looking at some of the other pics in Long’s post I have noticed that several other cars have the back of the hood slightly raised. I can see the benefits to this type of spacer but I have concerns about vibration problems at highway speeds. I also wonder if the hood would continue to latch correctly. Personally I like my windshields in one piece.
What do you guys think?
BTW hope this is in the right place. I think it is more a performance mod than for looks.
Old 12-18-2001 | 01:03 AM

Personally I've always wondered why someone didn't think of making something like this before. Not necessarily hood spacers but more like a cowl induction hood. (Yes like on the 'rustangs) just not as tall. I think it would help keep the engine much cooler would promote better airflow and also not have to worry about getting water on the turbo's for those cars who have it. Just my thoughts. rolleyes.gif
Old 12-18-2001 | 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The guys in Korea do this. They install washers under the 4 bolts that hold the hood down on the hinges. It raises the "windshield" section of the hood up a tad.

You can do it if you want to, but to me, it looks goofy to have the rear seams/edges of the stock hood up above the lines of the fenders and such.
Old 12-18-2001 | 07:01 AM

Couldn't you get a similar effect by creating an air dam underneath your engine, towards the front? This could cause a low-pressure area just behind it, which would draw air downwards and out of the engine bay.
Old 12-18-2001 | 08:01 AM

check out there other directories..hehe...tons of photos..
Old 12-18-2001 | 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Iago:
Couldn't you get a similar effect by creating an air dam underneath your engine, towards the front? This could cause a low-pressure area just behind it, which would draw air downwards and out of the engine bay.

There is a minor air dam there now for just such a reason. However, if you went much lower you would drag/scrape it fairly often.

If you crawl under your car, you'll notice you drag the one you have fairly often! Mine has lots of scratches in it and I'm at stock ride height!
Old 12-18-2001 | 10:23 AM

It all depends on what you are trying to do. I don't know if anyone has done a real study but my guess is that at low speeds and at idle... the air flow will be out the raised portion (heat out the highest portion) and at high speeds it will be in through the raised area.... due to the high pressure zone created in front of the windshield.

One thing is I don't know how much your a/c will like sucking in the hot air at idle.... I guess you can always use the recirc mode.
Old 12-18-2001 | 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Cheuk-

That's the main reason I'm not really crazy about this mod. Your passenger compartment air intake is going to be sucking in engine fumes and engine heat. But I guess it would be a good way to tell if your engine's haveing problems...by smell! *LOL*
Old 12-18-2001 | 10:51 PM

Aesthetically it is rather dog ugly. I would probaply only do this at a track although it would be a PITA to remove the hood every time.
Are you guys saying that it would suck more air in to the engine bay than let hot air out? I can see that at speed the air pressure on the windshield may cause that.
I want cooler engine bay temps without cutting up my hood.
oops
I just reread and understood that is what your saying.

[ December 19, 2001: Message edited by: DESIGN ]