Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Coolant/water Pump

Old 10-28-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well, first of all my coolant resevoir never seems to stay full. My radiator is always full, but whenever i refill my coolant resevoir, it seems to be near empty a week or so later.

Secondly, there is an annoying noise (chirp/rattle/squeak) all put together (if that makes sense), and it "SEEMS" to be coming from my coolant/water pump, or in that area.

Should i replace the pump?? I have 123, 000 Kms, and i'm pretty sure it hasn't been changed.
I must get rid of this sound!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:08 PM

I'd definitely replace the pump, but get it all checked out first. Noise could be caused by a bad belt, but in your case I think it's just the water pump is going bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Anyone ever replaced their water pump?
Any DIY guides besides, HMA Service's??
Old 10-29-2005, 02:45 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

change water pump and timeing while your at it, if you need any thing let me know when i go to do mine i want to do a video diy for all

hail.gif
Old 10-29-2005, 08:49 AM

mad John is right... If the timing belt has not been changed, might as well do it now.. you already have to remove half the covers on the front of the engine to get at the pump. I do not remember from when I did my belt.. but I think the waterpump might be slightly behind the belt too.

As for the annoying chirp.. is this all the time or just off of idle? If so, My Tib has done that since it was new. My old excel did too..
Old 10-29-2005, 03:29 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

mad john, a video diy of timing belt change would be totally awesome! fing02.gif
i'm comin up to 100,000 km, so i should do it soon
Old 10-31-2005, 11:29 PM

Well, ordered my Water Pump tonight, and figured i'd replace the timing belt too, so i also ordered that. Hopefully it gets rid of the noise, but if not then i have a nice new water pump...lol.

Gonna take the car to a garage to get both installed. I hate taking it to a garage, but i'm not 100% confident about doing the belt so...

Ha well forget that, i'm not paying $60 shipping for a timing belt and water pump....geez. I'll go down the street to partsource and get them there...lol.

Gonna buy my water pump, and timing belt separately and pay someone to do it. Is this a better idea than having them order in the parts for me. I'm guessing it would be a "little" bit cheaper since there will be no mark-up on the parts from whoever i take it too....damnit, wish i could do it myself, timing belt that is.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

what about the fan belts 3-ea and the idler bearing and the tensoner bearing you must change then also

dont forget the o-ring seal on the water pump and gasket and thermostat as well

rule of thumb change water pump and thermostat together. well i do anyway

also use distilled water dont use tap water
Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Since the thermostat housing is not really near the water pump, and the belts are fairly simple to change, i will leave those for now. Only reason i'm gonna get the water pump and timing belt done is because you pretty much have to take everything apart in that area to get at the water pump (vice versa).
Old 11-02-2005, 06:33 AM

that may be true.. but it is easier to drain, refill, and bleed the cooling system once rather than twice. I would consider doing the thermostat