Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

compressinon

Old 07-07-2002 | 01:14 PM

Default compressinon

I posted this question at the end of another post. But seeing how i don't want hijack the post i'll start my own. I've seen how people say they are droping their compressing to 7:1 for turbo applications. If I wanted to stay N/A Couldn't I rebuilt the motor and give it a higher compressing to creat more hp. Instead of the stock 10:1 (I think that is what it is) change it to 12.5:1 or 13:1. I'm not talking anything drastic like 19.5:1 like a nascar motor but just a little bit more.
Old 07-07-2002 | 02:50 PM

Yup.
Old 07-07-2002 | 03:00 PM

So why aren't we doing this? Random? BBB.ORG? come on guy let me know how much compression the beta can with stand. Because i'm not sure if i wanna go N/A or go turbo. I've ruled out the supercharger. Unless SR can be the Knight in Shinning Armor.
Old 07-07-2002 | 03:10 PM

on a different thread they said that the BETA can withstand as much compression as you can afford. upwards of 100:1 compression.
Old 07-07-2002 | 04:24 PM

13:1 would be fine. You would need premimum gas and a piggy back computer that controls ignition. There would be a little more wear and tear on the rings, but what the hell.
Old 07-07-2002 | 11:30 PM

It's not being done because it requires parts that don't exists right now, and a fair bit of expensive machining. It would be a custom job, not a 'kit' job like for so many Chevys or Fords

And the 100:1 compression ratio was a huge bit of sarcasm--it is not achievable in a practical sense, it would require machining using closer tolerances than telescope optics, and internals made of something a hell of a lot more durable than titanium alloys. Even then, you'd be lucky to get 5 laps around the track.
Old 07-08-2002 | 12:11 AM
Red

Yeah, the 100:1 bit I don't think you quite caught on to. The basic lesson was, if you have the money, you can do just about anything.

The highest I've read about any BETA motors would be something around 12.5:1... Please remember that even with this kind of compression on-tap, these motors don't make a lot of power normally aspirated.

There was a big-ass flamewar about four months ago about this, but the reality is still this: There isn't one single dynoed BETA engine making more than about 180-190WHP normally aspirated. And that car is severe overkill -- bore and stroker kit, uber-compression, cams that don't idle until around 2K, a head that looked like it was ported with a hole saw, individual throttle bodies, race headers that dump to atmosphere under the passenger door, etc.

Not that I wouldn't want to try it but this is something that you really will fully get your money out of. A race motor like that will still cost you $8500-9500 USD to build; a turbo motor would cost the same and would make 3x the power.