Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Colder thermostat

Old 06-14-2002 | 10:48 AM

Default Colder thermostat

I was wondering if anyone knows if they make a colder Thermostat for the Tiburon.I need that that stays open longer as my car is running a little hot because of my Turbo.
I checked my local shops and they dont make one for the Tiburon.
If anyone knows where to get one please let me kno!!
THANKS smile.gif smile.gif
Old 06-14-2002 | 01:37 PM

If you end up not find a thermostat, switch your oil to synthetic. Your engine will a little cooler then. I use Amsoil www.amsoil.com

You can also buy a chemical that you put in your radiator called water wetter. I can't remember who makes it but I have used it and it works. It brought my temp down about 10 degrees in a 86 Pontiac Trans Am with a 305 in it.

You could also wire the fan on your radiator to run all the time but I guess that wouldn't matter if the thermo isn't opening.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 06-14-2002 | 03:27 PM

I've seen one in a KOREAN mag that I had of the Tibbys and hyundais in general
But it's from KOREA,... Neo_tib has my mag, so when I get it back, I can tell ya which company. Maybe Sam can get it
Old 06-15-2002 | 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Ive seen some 160's and 165's listed in the korean mags, but none in the USA.

I'm fairly certian that there is a thermostat available to us that will fit, and will open at a lower temp. I'm going searching this weekend for one, so I'll post up brands and part numbers and info when I'm done.
Old 06-15-2002 | 09:04 AM

Another thing about thermostats: sometimes its not necessarily a colder thermostat that will make the car run cooler, it's a better made one at the same temperature. Some aftermarket thermo's have better tolerances for when they open and close, which keeps the car closer to their prescribed temp. My buddy with a Ford SHO uses one and he swears by it (same temp, but the better thermostat helped keep his engine cooler).

Of course, we have enough problems finding ANY thermostat that will fit, much less higher quality aftermarket ones. smile.gif

Let us know what you find Random, and as always, thanks.

ac
Old 06-15-2002 | 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

No luck. Our thermostat is fairly goofy. I went to 5 different autoparts stores. 3 didn't even carry the stock replacement. Of the 2 that did have the stocker unit, they did not have any other low temp units that would replace it.

I picked up a 160 Degree thermostat that is the same size as ours (54mm), but I had to return it, as it was not deep enought to fit properly and function properly.

I'm going to ask Shark Racing to pick up a thermostat for me to test/play with. I'll let you all know how it goes if I can get one.

This is NOT something I would reccomend for a stock or even mainly stock tibby. However, if you drive hard, and have a fairly lengthy set of mods, and live in a hot climate, it may be just the thing for you.

I did find out the stock Thermostat's temp is 180 degrees.
Old 06-16-2002 | 01:26 AM

Random!!
I also checked a few auto parts places near my area and NOTHING!!
I also heard that if you get an aftermarket rad cap this will also help to keep the Temp down.
I might consider getting a cap as well as putting some water watter which should help keep the temp down a bit.I also have to purchase an OEM A/C fan from the scarp yard and let it run constant.
Keep us updated if you hear anything from SR?
Old 06-16-2002 | 01:34 AM

Try running more water than anti freeze this will help out too! also the water wetter is expensive but works sometimes u need more than 1 bottle though!
Old 06-16-2002 | 02:03 AM

What's a Rad cap?