Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cold Air Intake vs. Ram Air

Old 09-22-2001, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Cold Air Intake vs. Ram Air

Hey, I went to the local performance parts store and was asking questions about intakes. It seems like the MHP CAI is a popular one among people in the club, so I asked about it. He said that he only sold a Ram Air intake. Is this one better? Any feedback from those of you that have bought an intake and had good/bad experience with it. Also, if you have an dyno numbers for them, that would be cool too. thanks.
Old 09-22-2001, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Are you talking about a ram air tube that stops right before the headers or so? If so it will work ok but not as well as a CAI. Because you will be sucking in hot air off the headers. Were as the CAI sucks in air that is cooler below the engine. The MHP is the one I have and it is good. But if your not in a big hurry wait for the new SR one to come out. Kore also makes one as well and people seem to like that ones as well. I haven't so I can't tell you what the difference between the two are. But like I said if your not in a hurry wait for the SR one to come and compare the three against each other and then get one.
Old 09-23-2001, 02:30 AM

From what i know of the difference between a CAI and ram air, Ram Air is the better one. However, for the tiburon, there is no direct air flow that will allow the Ram Air effect to take place. The idea behind the CAI is that you get a decent amount of "colder" air. The idea behind the Ram Air is that you get a straight direct flow from the outside(which is still cold), and you get air that is going as fast as your car, being forced into your intake. In essence, it's like a very small version of the turbo. You normally run turbo at about 8 to 10 pounds of boost. A Ram Air effect gives about 1.5 to 2 (at max) pounds of boost. As in the CAI, there isn't a boost at all.
Of course I could be wrong, and totally drunk or something. But that's what I was told when I asked about it. It would be great if one of the masters on the subject would enlighten us and comment on my comment.
Old 09-23-2001, 02:59 AM

"Of course I could be wrong, and totally drunk or something. But that's what I was told when I asked about it. "

Damn, you start drinking early in the morning..hehe
Old 09-23-2001, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Okay...as a GENERAL rule, Ram Air is better than a CAI, but only in certian conditions.

For a "ram air" system to work, you must be moving. Most systems, even on motorcycles only work above 45 MPH. Cars have bigger engines, so would say you need to be moving at least that fast, if not faster, plus have a very large opening for the Ram Air. So in your typical 1/4 mile race for a fairly stock tiburon...you are about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the track before it starts to work/show gains.

Add to this, the fact that there is no way to get a ram air setup in a stock tiburon. You can modify your hood...but then your not stock. The only aftermarket Ram Air setup for the tiburon I have seen is the Weapon-R unit. This unit is complete crap. It has maybe $25 in parts. The "ram air" opening is smaller than the stock fog light opening, yet it feeds a 3" "dryer hose" style tube, which runs to your filter. The filter is in a "container" that allows the pressuresed air to exit out the sides...thus it does NOT force or "Ram" air into your filter/engine. Complete 100% crap.

Sure you could "Modify" the Weapon-R system to make it more feasible, and make it sort of work, but for the price...should you have to?

In most circumstances, on a fairly stock car, a CAI will show better performance. The CAI starts sucking in cold air right from the start, and continues to do so as you head down the track.

Would you buy a CAI that didn't suck in cold air until 45 MPH? eek.gif

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 09-23-2001, 07:17 AM

CAI: Basically rerouting the intake so that it is sucking in the air from the outside, which is cold, and not sucking in the air from the engine bay, which is hot.

Ram Air: Basically the shortest way from the intake manifold to the outside of the car. Which is still cold air. There by meaning that there is no hot air through this system.

The Fact: Both are sucking in the same cold air from the beginning. The only true difference is that at a high speed, a ram air system will get the air being forced into the intake. In essence, there is no difference between the two except for the advantage at high speeds with the ram air.

Other Fact: The theory is there, but there is no way to keep your tiburon stock and also make a true ram air system work. Like Random said, you would have to cut a hole in the hood.
Old 09-23-2001, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It depends on where the ram air setup is drawing air from, as to if it draws in cold air. Also, all Ram Air systems have a "pressure box", this is located in the engine bay, so it heats the intake air vs. a standard CAI.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:03 AM

The Weapon*R intake is not bad, correct?

Random, you were just saying there new "ram-air" product is bad?

Thanks

Pat Peregoy
Old 09-23-2001, 09:08 AM

Erg Meant the Dragon*R CAI, sorry about that.

Pat Peregoy
Old 09-23-2001, 09:11 AM

OMG, Sorry. Just Void my last two post. I was not thinking right . Very sorry.

Pat