Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Or Tranny?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

alright, so i was on my way to the bank the other day driving perfectly normal (not mashing the accelerator or anything). then, at a stop light, i was inching forward because someone had turned onto a side road and i felt a sudden jerk and grinding. i could also hear a bunch of metal bouncing around (like when you put metal in a clothes dryer). all of this was in 1st gear. i revved a couple times while letting the clutch out and went nowhere. then with the clutch out, i worked all the way through all the gears. it felt like when the car is turned off and you run the shifter through all the gears with no resistance.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

no symptoms before this?? metel bouncing around??

sounds like tranny.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:41 AM

no, no symptoms prior to this. car has 94k on it. clutch was new last summer. it sounds like there is a bunch of metal just sitting in the bottom of the flywheel area and when the flywheel rotates it's knocking all that stuff around.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Sounds like your trans is toast.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Clutch, no doubt.

The reason your car feels like you can go thru the gears like its off is because the clutch is transferring zero power to the tranny, so the tranny is not rotating at all, just like it was off.

And the metal in the flywheel area could only be the clutch/TOB/flywheel

Pull it off, collect shards of former clutch, replace, good luck
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Wouldnt he hear the sound constantly if it was the clutch?

ok i am kicking myself in the ass a few times for not reading correctly.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 PM

I agree its the clutch. I've seen springs on the disc pop out, break, twist..all of which could potentially cause a noise...to what degree it compares w your im not sure. If you went through all your gears and got no acceleration that would further suggest the clutch is out.

I just did a clutch in a winter beater I bought. We made sure to toast off the clutch before we did the pull (gota have fun you know) and what your describing is about exactly what happened once it was time to push it back bask to the garage. Our grinding noise wasnt anything terrible though. Either way, pull it out and take a look at it. If you have to replace the clutch or trans, itl have to come out, so pop it off and take a look. While it's off, get urself a new PP and flywheel (or have it resurfaced) because you may really screw yourself if you just replace the disk and it turns out there was metal bouncing around.

Let us know.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM

i'm gonna go with clutch also. i have a brand new centerforce II clutch kit as well as a fidanza flywheel. problem is, i bought them for the 2.0L engine that i have and am going to swap in (along with my beta2 tranny). so i guess i'll be doing the swaps sooner than i had planned.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM

well, i finally got around to working on the car today. when i was taking the starter off i found a rather disturbing thing; a large whole in the back of the transmission. the speedometer gear was just haning there by the connector wires with a big chunk of metal on it. here's a couple of pictures of the hole.

the axle that is in the picture is the passenger axle. the gear inside the red box is the speedo gear. today was a pretty hacked up day, had a lot of errands to run while trying to work on the tib, so i only got a little bit done on taking out the tranny. it's a good thing i have that beta2 tranny already. does anyone happen to have the part number from hyundai for the beta2 axle seals?

today i got the tranny pulled off and i put the new clutch in it. here are a couple of pictures of the two transmissions side by side.

i still have to put the calipers back on and fill it up with tranny fluid, but i have to wait till thursday when the auto shop on post will be open again.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm going to say transmission. owned.gif