Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Suggestions?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

+1 for ACt 6puck

its just too baller to pass up, its like having a hair trigger on a gun. i love it
Old 04-05-2008, 10:58 AM

Alright, I am still confused which clutch to buy. It sounds like the VHR clutch from Seoulful Racing is a good
choice BUT why would I buy it if they don’t respond to emails – Can I know for sure that I’m going to get
my clutch? And within a reasonable time frame?

I’m also wondering if I were to go with the ACT clutch (prob with fidanza flywheel), should I get
the 4 or 6 puck sprung clutch? Is the 6 too much for street driving??
Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM

shrush, I just ordered the ACT 6 PUC (sprung) with a fidanza lightweight flywheel. From what optimoprime said its amazing. I am installing it wed. I will let you know how it is.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM

that'd be great - also if you could post where you got it.
Ive been looking around trying to find the lowest price on the flywheel and clutch.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

QUOTE (archsvile @ Apr 5 2008, 10:38 PM)
shrush, I just ordered the ACT 6 PUC (sprung) with a fidanza lightweight flywheel. From what optimoprime said its amazing. I am installing it wed. I will let you know how it is.

How did the install go?

srush - best way to get a good price is to get the model number of your parts and google them and then sort them.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I got myself a Clutchmasters FX400 for a bit over US$500. It is what they call "stage 4" clutch and I love it. Mind you, when you take a look you can see that most of the parts are from VHR but supposeddly have been reinforced fing02.gif . Anyway I recomend it.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I'd go with the fidanza flywheel for sure, you can replace the friction surfaces ($75 shipped for TWO with hardware from summitracing), and you can install any pressure plate on it that is made for our cars. You probably can do that with the VHR as well, but it damn sure doesn't have a replaceable carbon steel friction surface like the fidanza, you would have to get it resurfaced, and depending on how warped it is every time you need to do that, you may need another flywheel sometime down the road. Fidanza is the clear choice, just make sure you get the correct month/year flywheel because the crank diameter got larger or smaller (cant remember) sometime in the 99 models if I am correct.

I would recommend ACT or Clutchmasters. I personally have a Clutchmasters stage 4 just like hive with a sprung hub. From a stop there is NO chatter at all (make sure you break it in nicely and that is the payoff). And I can spin posi through second (like 50-60' marks 8" wide) with 225 KDW 2 tires so there are no grip issues at all - for the clutch that is, lol.

ACT is a very proven clutch as well, but the stage 4 clutchmasters is a great clutch that I actually have experience with so I would go with that.

The price of a CM or ACT clutch/PP/TOB (the CM comes with the TOB and a clutch alignment tool, not sure about the ACT) and a fidanza flywheel (ebay around 330 shipped) will be similar to the VHR and likely last a bit longer due to more pucks/more friction surface area.

I got my clutch for $440 shipped from ImportShark on the forums here, contact him and see if he can still give you the deal I got (it was a special forum deal at the time). Hive got his from there as well but shipping to croatia must have been a biach.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I use a Spec Stage3 full metallic in the 944, and I see that Spec offers clutches for the Tib as well. Has anyone tried a Spec or know of anyone who has?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

I do believe there were a few on this forum that have used that brand with bad results.

The PP's come apart supposedly, at least for our cars.

I thought they had a pretty good reputation with other vehicles though right?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:27 PM

thanks for the great info from everyone. I never really considered that the Fidanza offers the replacement friction surfaces.
That is a great point. I have already bought the flywheel on ebay, but havent picked a clutch yet.
I was about to order an ACT but this info has me reconsidering.

For the Clutchmasters fx400 how much torque is it designed to hold? is it a six puck clutch?
and how stiff is the pedal with it?