Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Suggestions?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read over the clutch review thread but I didnt find it very informative for my specific situation.
I am currently looking to upgrade my stock clutch and flywheel but am unsure which ones are a good pick for my current setup.
My current mods include: obx header, custom exhaust, and a 1.8L cam. This upcoming summer I hope to put on a big bore
throttle body and possibly make a custom intake manifold. In the future (likely distant future) I would like to put on a modest
turbo setup.
I drive the car mostly in the city but it does see a fair bit of highway driving as well. With a new clutch I would like
to be able to go to the drag strip and not need a tow truck to bring it home!

The stuff I am currently looking at buying is:
- Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
- ACT HD Sprung Hub 6 Puck Race Kit (says its good for 40% increase in clamp load, 303 ftlb torque capacity)

Hoping that someone (anyone) could let me know if these are good choices and if not, what clutches and flywheels
I should be looking at.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey man. A lot of people have loved the VHR clutch setup that comes with a light flywheel. I have it installed on mine but havent used it yet and probably wont be able to due to upgrading the clutch to a different style. I know its a good clutch though and many people have loved using it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:59 PM

by the VHR, you're talking about the valeo hyper racing clutch with the optional flywheel??
also,
if anyone has a suggestion for a clutch or flywheel, it would be helpful if they could post
a website where i could buy them from.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ya thats the one. Seoulfulracing may have it otherwise I know KSpec does.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yup, the VHR setup from Seoulfulracing.com

There have been numerous GB's over the years for that setup, and you can't beat the prices. It's a great setup, and many members here swear by it. More than that, it's what 90% of the Koreans use.

And moreso, I've got one on the way to me.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

i would honestly go with ACT.

i had a ACT/gripforce flywheel combo in my turbo tib for a while with no issues. clutch felt really good, held great at 8 psi.

the ACT clutch kit was 398$ i believe. included 6 puc or 4 puc clutch (your choice) pressure plate, TOB, alignment tool.

the flywheel from gripforce was like 187$ shipped.

BUT. if your wanting to do this the best way, i would go to a push style conversion, especially if you are FOR SURE going turbo.

denis sells conversion kits for push style. the clutch kits are also alot cheaper for push style. a mitsubishi push style will bolt right on to the tib flywheel, so you could match that to a fidanza or gripforce chromoly flywheel.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 PM

Ok I'm looking into buying the VHR clutch setup with the lightweight flywheel. Does that come with everything needed to put in a new clutch. Like can I just give it to the shop and I wont need any other parts? Do i need any new bearing? Also how light is the flywheel and is this a 4 puc or 6 puc clutch. It really doesn't give this info on seoulfulracing.com.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 AM

I just got one, and it looks like a 4 puck clutch, and it came with a TOB. I can't guarantee that yours will come with one though.

You could try asking SFR on their forums at NT, but good luck getting an answer.

BTW, I will be weighing every part on it tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 PM

I emailed SFR and they emailed me back within 12 hours WOOT. Anyways the VHR kit does come with the bearing. The flywheel weighs 8.5 pounds. I'm guessing its 4 puc because he really didn't tell me. I will be ordering this asap. cool.gif
Old 03-29-2008, 11:25 PM

Wow, 'm waiting for answerss from emails from, oh, a year ago still.