Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Issue

Old 06-16-2008 | 09:21 PM

ok so i fixed the power problem on to this!
this car was stolen some time back dude couldn't drive a clutch ya. i laughed too. he got all but a mile down the road before it quit working.
anywayssssssss problem is...
the car does not like anything past first gear and reverse. it goes alright in first but after shifting gears it does nothing but rpms high no grab nothing. and it won't even maintain a speed of 20mph. i tried throwing it in 3rd ect. same issue. my guess is clutch. am i making a fair guess or could something else infact be wrong. i noticed it was a lil low on fluid so i put some in. same issue. it starts fine but even in reverse u gotta give it a lot of gas to get it to go over like a speed bump into the garage. same in first. i'm still putting a guess on clutch but i've been told it could be other things. tho it seems doubtful any insite by others who have replaced there clutchs or know a lot on the subject?

thanks in advance. and ya i been reading others clutch issues. just trying to make sure i am making the right deal buying install an entire new kit.
Old 06-16-2008 | 09:45 PM

He may have glazed it over. If so new clutch time.
Old 06-17-2008 | 05:12 AM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

DTN i think it was posted a possible DIY fix to clutch glazing...

if your looking for another clutch u can probably get in on the one i was looking at here (i will reatract dibs if u want it; sending a check today but even after i can cancel fing02.gif )

i wasnt going to be using the clutch any time soon anyway i just couldnt pass it up for $20 rolleyes.gif
Old 06-17-2008 | 07:50 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

you might want to check the throw on the clutch master cyl..
Old 06-17-2008 | 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

it was stolen? insurance should fix it for you. does it grind any? I'd try to get the transmission fixed too. If he destroyed a clutch in a mile just think the damage that could have been done to the transmission.
Old 06-17-2008 | 03:12 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If it were a problem with the clutch wouldn't there be a problem with 1st gear too? Could it be something with the gears not locking into place? Does it slip in 1st, reverse and 5th?
Old 06-18-2008 | 12:17 AM

ok my guess is the clutch don't require much grab in first i could be wrong. i know it goes in first but even in first u hit that gas too hard it will just RPM out the anus. and not go much of anywhere. i'm pretty sure it could be the clutch i checked the fluid its fine. it was a factory clutch too so god only knows lol i will prolly have it all looked over but i'm trying to narrow it down.
as for the gears they all do it. 3/5/r u gotta hit the gas pretty hard to move in reverse up over something. same with first but the rpms go pretty high its got that nasty smell wich is tipical of a clutch issue. and ya from what i was told when it was stolen the dude next door thought it was me he says the guy kept starting it and by the sounds pushing the clutch down shift into first but forgot to give it gas. hence when he let it off just stalled over and over till he figured it out. my guess is he was a lil too late figuring it out. not sure if thats what broke it. but i'd asume if u keep putting it in gear and letting the clutch go it would eat the plate/disc anyone agree?

as always thanks!
Old 06-18-2008 | 05:22 PM

Sounds like he did a number on your clutch there man. I would assume, if he were a tard, that he tried to get the car going in a high gear and burned the clutch. If it's that hard to drive and revs almost freely, you're going to need an entire clutch kit. I don't know why you wouldn't get the whole clutch kit anyways. This means you get a clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. You'll also want to take your flywheel off and have it machined. At that high of temperature, he definitely created some hot spots on the flywheel. These will cause chatter, and eventually lead to transmission, axle, or at the very least engine mount damage.
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

What kind of a car thief doesn't know how to drive manual???
Old 06-18-2008 | 10:22 PM

ya i ordered the entire kit. including new flywheel just need to get it installed any ideas on price for an install? had an offer of $250 but i find that a lil pushy seeing as the dealership offered to install the cheap factory one ect for $325.

and ya LOL@not being able to drive it. talk about a skilled thief!