Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

clutch install

Old 07-24-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine Cover

well i got my new clutch in and everything....but i have a slight problem.

i cant frickin get my damn tranny back on the block!!!

first off...does the fork go in between the bearing and the clutch cover thingie? or am i just doing that part wrong too....its like the bottom of the tranny will go on just fine, but something feels like its hooking up on it up at the top. im just way too confused and frustrated right about now.

help?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Post Count

Might wanna search the old site, or HA.com mang, someone had this same problem awhile back.

www.rdtiburon.com/old
Old 07-24-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Cruise Control Won't Work? FIX FINALLY FOUND!

just remember... the worse thing you can do with a tranny and clutch... Force it on... you might need to gently persuade it.. rock it, shimmy it... but do NOT force it.. you will be sorry later.

I think I need a new clutch soon too.. went to take off from a stop sign yesterday.. did a high rpm dump to clear some traffic.. and the revs STAYED at five grand for a couple of seconds.. followed by the wonderful smell of burned clutch.. I knew it was coming.. car does have 97,000 miles on it
Old 07-24-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Cruise Control Won't Work? FIX FINALLY FOUND!

ok well i just managed to get the throw out bearing off of the pressure plate....and i think sometime today or tomorrow im gonna try for it again.

ill post up a pic of what i THINK is the right way for it to go on, but im not really sure so if anyone can help itd be appreciated....

heres the pic (click for bigger)
Old 07-24-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: AirRam IM

um... where's the bearing in your throwout bearing? It should face towards the "fingers" the pressure plate, shouldn't it?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Re: My Short Shifter

QUOTE (Mad-Machine)
I think I need a new clutch soon too.. went to take off from a stop sign yesterday.. did a high rpm dump to clear some traffic.. and the revs STAYED at five grand for a couple of seconds.. followed by the wonderful smell of burned clutch.. I knew it was coming.. car does have 97,000 miles on it

silly question.. if at all possible.. could you describe for me the smell of a burning clutch?
Old 07-26-2004, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe
Default Re: *POSSIBLE* Lambo Door GB

QUOTE (Xyrnx)
well i got my new clutch in and everything....but i have a slight problem.

i cant frickin get my damn tranny back on the block!!!

first off...does the fork go in between the bearing and the clutch cover thingie? or am i just doing that part wrong too....its like the bottom of the tranny will go on just fine, but something feels like its hooking up on it up at the top. im just way too confused and frustrated right about now.

help?

i had the same prob the first time changing the clutch.
It needs to go on flush, shake it, wiggle it it will go.
your pic is right.. you should be able to get it to sit on all the dowls with a bit of a gap then shimmy it in tight. make sure you didn't snag any wires.

once its on
before putting the bolts on pull the slave cylinder with your hand and you will hear the throwout bearing clip into the clutch disk cover...

don't forget to lube that shaft that the bearing is on.

by the way clean those folks and any dust you can get out of the housing.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: rebuiding a tranny

QUOTE (nursethistib)
silly question.. if at all possible.. could you describe for me the smell of a burning clutch?

UMMM, its kind of like throwing tires onto a wood bon-fire, w/ a little gas on them. if you can imagine that smell......you know what a clutch burning up smells like......

Its umm, A VERY DISTINCTIVE SMELL, if your clutch is going it may or may not make this smell, depends on how you drive.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: clutch install

QUOTE (tibwrcsbj)
QUOTE (nursethistib)

UMMM, its kind of like throwing tires onto a wood bon-fire, w/ a little gas on them. if you can imagine that smell......you know what a clutch burning up smells like......

Its umm, A VERY DISTINCTIVE SMELL, if your clutch is going it may or may not make this smell, depends on how you drive.

um... kinda like a really strong burnt rubber smell that lingers in the car for much longer... :?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: clutch install

yeah something close to that....almost but not quite like what you'd smell after a burn out, but with other cheicals clearly mixed in.