Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch/flywheel Setup Question...

Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was recently informed by my local Hyundai Dealership that I need a new clutch and flywheel.... Quoted : $1400 parts, $400-500 labor. LMAO They must think Im f-in crazy to pay that for an OEM setup... Im just looking for a setup a little better than stock... I've got a friend who goes to UTI and gets 35% discount on parts at the NAPA store there.. Im considering this Clutch and am looking for a good cheap lightweight flywheel to go with it... If there is such a thing, lol.

Ive found this XTD Flywheel and this questionable eClutchmasters Flywheel ripoff... Ive never had to replace the clutch/flywheel, but should the lightweight flywheel work with that clutch? and other setup suggestions are welcome just keep my low-budget in consideration, and Id like a better clutch but I dont think I can beat that clutch price - 35% discount.... THNX

I just found this F1 Racing Clutch on ebay too but Im always skeptical about cheap performance parts off of ebay so i dont know.. Its sold by gripforce, a vendor that Ive heard a few good thing about... anyone know of these? I really need some opinions before I buy something Ill regret, lol...
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats crazy what hyundai wants for a clutch replacement.

but since you knew about the other clutch/flywheel thread i dont understand the need for this thread. of course an aftermarket clutch will accept an aftermarket flywheel. provided both clutch and flywheel were designed for the 2.0L beta engine, they will work just fine.

as far as the flywheel, the XTD is just your standard issue chromoly, but the eclutchmasters is either a rebadged fidanza (doubtful) or a fidanza ripoff, and seeing as the latter is more likely i cant verify its quality.

So whats the clutch come to after your 35% discount? i thought i remembered napa wanting 180 or so for a clutch, so maybe 120-130 for you?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:31 PM

Price: $239.00
tax and shipping not included

Attributes:
# of Splines:20
Additional Contents:Clutch Disc
Cover Assembly
Bearing Assembly
Alignment Tool
Cover Size:8 7/8"
Cover Typeiaphragm
Disc Hub I.D./Input Shaft Size:7/8"
Disc Material Type:Organic

those are the stats on that clutch from NAPA, it looks like an OEM replacement but I cant tell... Id figure OEM would be cheaper like u said around 180... but that on will come to around 160 AFTER discount.... but if thats an OEM Id rather try to find a better clutch...

but what I was wondering is if I did stay with an OEM clutch, would it accept the after market lightweight flywheel without problems? and the XTD? is standard issue chromoly good, bad, average? I just want a noticably better setup that doesnt cost too much... and I cant afford to buy one thats gonna crap out on me, lol.

but yea seriously I need some help, lol
Old 11-11-2006, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah a stock clutch would bolt up to a aftermarket flyhweel just fine, if it didnt you dont have the right parts.

The chromoly is a solid flywheel, alot lighter than stock but not quite as light as aluminum, but there are plenty of flywheel topics.

As far as getting it from napa, you could get a new oem clutch from ebay for like 100 bux so payin 200 doesnt really make sense.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i do not have any opinions, but would just like to say, excellent structure to the first post in your thread. wish we had more <100 post members take the time to write like that. you make everything easy to find and you will get many more answers than somebody who simply mentions the name.

im tempted to sticky this, and will if everyone contributes good information on each of the clutches.

only thing i can offer to this is do not even look at spec clutches. tons of people have blown them up.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

cheap OEM, here ya go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYUNDAI-TIB...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-12-2006, 11:14 AM

Alright, now Im leaning towards this XTD Stage 2 Clutch Kit and this 11lb XTD Chrome-Moly Flywheel.

Theyre both from the Aimco Clutch Co vendor. They have 99.9% positive reviews and 11,000 transactions so I guess they look alright. I really hate buying aftermarket parts on ebay and am uncomfortable every time I purchase from there.

Well, anything that ya'll know about XTD brand or the vendor is appreciated, but I need to make a decision in a day or so because my stock clutch is slipping pretty bad and the Tibs my only mode of transportation so Ive gotta hurry up and order...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:39 AM

i decided to go with the stage 2 eclutchmasters clutch&flywheel, great buy, threw her on in like 20mins no slipping yet after about 2,500mi just a recommendation i was in the same spot as you with the XTD and Clutchmaster.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:12 PM

Alright, I went ahead and bought the XTD Stage 2 Clutch Kit and Flywheel. $376 shipped. Hope this is a good buy....

Whats better about a Stage 2 clutch? Is it only Stage 3 and for clutches that have the puck design? or do some Stage 2's as well because the XTD Stage 2 that I ordered looks similar to OEM....
Old 11-12-2006, 02:02 PM

I heard good things about the XTD clutch. It is an improvement on stock with better friction material that copes better under heat and should have a higher spring rate so it's clamped up to the flywheel firmly which helps resist slip better. If you drive with care this will last for a longer time than OEM. If you cane it all the time and slip it a lot under power it will probably not last as long as stock.

For anyone else wondering about compatibility of clutch or flywheel, I do believe that either one is designed to replace the stock item. What I mean is the uprated flywheel should still work with a stock clutch and the uprated clutch should work with the stock flywheel...UNLESS they clearly state otherwise, as is the case with some Race parts.