Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Clutch Chatter

Old 08-24-2005 | 10:13 AM

Vehicle: 1998 hyundai tiburon fx

Today on my way to work I noticed that my clutch pedal was vibrating/pulsing and the clutch chattering. About two months ago I had a new stage 3, 6 puck ACT clutch installed. I checked the fluid level, good. Checked to see if tranny leaking, no. I wonder what else could be wrong with it. Any thoughts please help. I have money saved up for other upgrades and I would hate to go and spend money on the tranny again.Thanks. sad.gif
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:01 PM

Any one, any thoughts. Could it be my synchros?
Old 08-29-2005 | 05:32 PM

this with the clutch pedal down, or just resting your foot on it?
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:17 PM

When I rest my foot on it slightly, I can feel it turning. When I accelarate, I feel it turn along with the rpms and from time to time, as I pull out the pedal, the clutch grabs with out me pulling it all the way out. After a hard pull, when I press the pedal all the way down I feel it vibrate and not not exactly grind but I can hear the trany make noise.
Old 08-29-2005 | 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

sprung or unsprung clutch?

i heard unsprungs do that sometimes
Old 08-29-2005 | 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

take it from me, your release bearing is probably f-ed up if these things happen.

you start to notice that shifting is becoming increasingly harder.
you depress your clutch, but you cant pop out of gear.
the clatter and vibrations become increasingly worse.

at idle, open the hood and bring your ear right above the driver side wheel well. listen CLOSE. if you hear any kind of metal hitting metal continuously, like its hitting something every time it turns, something is wrong. you should not hear that.
if you listen and you can hear something bouncing around in the bell housing, there is something wrong.

if all the above happens, your release bearing is out. most all clutch companies use a Valeo release bearing and although everything else on the clutch is upgraded for more torque, the release bearing is not. i forget if ACT uses valeo or not. i know clutchmasters uses their own release bearing. pull-type clutches are notorious for putting more strain on release bearings than push-type clutches.
Old 08-30-2005 | 05:43 PM

Damm, don't tell me that. If I rest my foot on the peadal I feel it turning and sometimes when I press it all the way down I feel it going crunk, crunk, crunk (not little john crunk for you comedians.....)on the out side.
Old 08-30-2005 | 08:14 PM

if the drivability of your car gets worse and your clutch starts to act up, it what i said.
if not, then you're fine.
keep in mind what i said about the release bearing.

i got stranded on my way back to texas from a trip to florida one summer and it was hell getting that transmission off the motor because the clutch and release bearing was so jacked up.

btw, did you do a proper break-in with that clutch?
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:56 AM

yes, that's one thing I made sure I did. I ran for about 500 miles and then took it easy till about the next oil change, which i did right after the tranny.
Old 09-06-2005 | 09:31 PM

are you having drivability issues with your clutch?

just wanted to check up and see if you are still having the same problems.