Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

CLeaning the engine Bay

Old 06-10-2002, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard of using deasel and gas to clean too

I never used it myself

im a cd2 kind of guy,...lol
Old 06-10-2002, 06:05 AM
Jay

Vehicle: 1998 Tib

CD2 engine detail kit is the way to go. I used it the other day. My last application lasted 6-7 months. smile.gif
Old 06-10-2002, 06:31 AM

FluteMuffin:

In America, everyone thinks like you **oh dear God, my engine is going to catch fire, oh no, I have sensitive skin!**
Hey now, I can't help it that I have b!tch skin.

[b]
BTW, Hootie, your Tib's new shoes look hot!
Thanks, Bro. wink
Old 06-10-2002, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Where can I find this CD2 stuff? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Online?
Old 06-10-2002, 07:01 AM

I'm in the Coast Guard and on the ship I was stationed on we used diesel fuel to clean our ship service diesel generators and Main diesel engines. It does help keep hoses and things from cracking. We would wipe it off with a clean rag after cleaning. It's a great degreaser.

MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COOL FIRST!

Diesel fuel never irritate my skin if I splashed any on myself. Just wiped it off and then later on cleaned up with Fast Orange Hand Cleaner.

Not sure about the engine running cooler but I guess if it had caked on dirt and grim it might be able to dissipate heat alittle better once clean.

Diesel fuel used on ships is the same that can be used in cars or trucks. We used ship fuel to fill up our government truck once in awhile. Some of the fuel we used was a little higher in octane depending where we filled up in the gulf but it's the same grade pretty much.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:07 AM

d_m_kolb:
I'm in the Coast Guard and on the ship I was stationed on we used diesel fuel to clean our ship service diesel generators and Main diesel engines. It does help keep hoses and things from cracking. We would wipe it off with a clean rag after cleaning. It's a great degreaser.

Diesel fuel never irritate my skin if I splashed any on myself. Just wiped it off and then later on cleaned up with Fast Orange Hand Cleaner.

Not sure about the engine running cooler but I guess if it had caked on dirt and grim it might be able to dissipate heat alittle better once clean.
I get the point.

I guess they do things differently in Greece and in the Department of Transportation. wink
Old 06-10-2002, 07:18 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

d_m_kolb:

Diesel fuel used on ships is the same that can be used in cars or trucks. We used ship fuel to fill up our government truck once in awhile. Some of the fuel we used was a little higher in octane depending where we filled up in the gulf but it's the same grade pretty much.
Thats allrite maan.Youve got a partener here.!!!!I am also in the CoastGuard of Greece and i am a commander of a SAR vessel...Great news..My vessel is a RNLI 60ft SAR vessel and we use LE401 Mahn Diesel engines...Our vessel was constructed in GB by RNLI...

Hootie i hope no bad feelings about cleaning..BTW your new Tib's shoes are great smile.gif smile.gif
Old 06-10-2002, 07:19 AM

Yes the government gives the CG very little money compared to the other 4 armed services, so we use what we have avalible. smile.gif

We use simple green in 5 gallon jugs also but it's kinda expensive so we use it sparingly.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

REDZMAN:
Where can I find this CD2 stuff? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Online?
Old 06-10-2002, 01:19 PM
BV1

I just started reading this thread, I agree with you guys that Hootie was a little harsh on Angelos, but I agree that its not a good idea to wash your engine bay with diesel fuel.

Diesel fuel is a good cleaner because it washes away grease, in the same way that water washes away dirty water. I have used it to clean carbs, injectors, and other parts many times. But diesel fuel is not a de-greaser, it is a grease itself, but the film it leaves behind is usually less noticable and gritty then the oil or deposits you started out with.

Not to mention the point that got ignored. Diesel fuel is flammable. I have headers on my car that get to about 1400 F when the cars running, if its just shut off its a safe bet that there still in the 1000 F range. I wouldnt want to splash flammable fluids around the engine bay... Well maybe.... No I dont think so... lol smile.gif

A happy medium? If the engine were cold, go ahead and wash it with diesel fuel, careful around the electronics. Quick Rinse, then use some degreaser, and then rinse the whole mess clean and shine.

Worth a try,

-Steve