Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Check Engine Light & more... :(

Old 03-22-2005 | 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Check Engine Light & more... :(

Hey guys. Big big problem with my 01 Tiburon. I'll start from the beginning. I really don't think this has anything to do with the problem, but I'm going to go ahead and tell all the things I did before the problem occured.

I currently bought some Altezza-style tail lights and a clear corner. (passenger side). I installed both with no problems at all yesterday afternoon. The car was only turned on to test the lights and everything worked fine.

Last night, when I was about to go out, I turned on the car and held the brake down and put it in reverse. (I have auto transmission by the way) I looked behind me to see if the lights were showing. I put it back in park. I then go to put it back in REVERSE AGAIN... and while holding the brake, the shifter knob would not go in AT ALL. It was stuck in the P position. I was BAFFLED.

After a minute of confusion, I used the Shift override button and noticed that the "Check Engine" light was on. Frustration sets in as I back up the car. When I put the car in Drive, the acceleration was HORRIBLE. It was nowhere near accelerating like it used to. So I decided to leave the car alone that night.

This morning, I used the car to travel to school and I also noticed more things. The blinkers do not work at all... except when using the Emergency Lights. Also, it seems like the car is stuck in 1 gear and will not shift. I took it to Autozone for a check and "P1613 - General Auxiliary Inputs/Auxiliary Outputs" popped up on the little computer. The employee did not know what it meant. I called my local Hyundai dealer and they said they didn't know either.

So summary:

*Check Engine Light is on.
*Turn signals are not working.
*Acceleration is worse than normal.
*Seems like stuck in 1 gear.
*Shifter is stuck in P, without override.
*Computer shows "P1613".

------

If anyone has ANY IDEA what the hell is going on, I would appreciate any type of feedback. Thanks to you all.
Old 03-22-2005 | 09:17 AM

Well i'm going to go way out on a branch on this one, but try to install your old lights, reset you ecu and see if the problem is still there. There seems to be some sort of controversy with some bulbs that come with those atlezza's. If the problem still occurs then you can rule out the bulbs. Someone else recently had a similar problem do a search and you should find the thread.
Old 03-22-2005 | 09:19 AM

Well, that's the thing. I didn't change out any bulbs. Only thing that was changed was the taillights themselves.

But I did change out the one clear corner bulb. I don't think it will help much but I'll try it out.

And this may be a dumb question, but how do you reset your ECU?
Old 03-22-2005 | 09:29 AM

Just disconnect your battery, put you foot on the brake for 15 secs then hook it all back up ..
Old 03-22-2005 | 10:39 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Also you should check to make sure that everything is securely connected. The blinkers will blink really fast if only one is connected. Did you take anything in the dash apart?? I know for sure that if the dash light control is unhooked or if the 4-ways are unhooked, no lights in the car will work.

Here is your CEL code. Definitely has something to do with the tailights. Looks like you overloaded them with Voltage.

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.a...0665#_394880665

You can swap out your bulbs to put the euro tailights in. You don't HAVE to use the bulbs that come with them.

As for the shifting thing. dunno.gif do what blacktibby said and see if that solves your problems.
Old 03-22-2005 | 10:45 AM

remove the bulb you installed

see if it improves

Your oveloading something...
Old 03-22-2005 | 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Fill out your profile and "RIDES" section in User CP.
Old 03-22-2005 | 10:55 AM

I put new bulbs in the turn signal that fit fine. But i had the same problem. All the lights got screwy. So i took it out and put the old one back in and verything was fine then.

I noticed that even thought the new bulb fit, it had a different bottom part that was missing 2 little contacts. So try and put all the old stuff back in.
Old 03-22-2005 | 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I find that really weird though. If you read that link I posted it says that it overloaded the system. Wierd that that would throw a CEL though. confused.gif

It's electrical........ when I see Check Engine I'm thinking something has blown up.
Old 03-22-2005 | 12:08 PM

Faulty O2s, etc. are electrical... tongue.gif Most CELs deal with electric sensors and such that fail.

You might have fried the wiring...