Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Check Engine Light On...again.....

Old 09-08-2005 | 08:06 PM

Here's my tale of the past few days copied from another forum (i just found this 1 today) sad.gif

YESTERDAY:

I've owned my Tiburon since 2000. I've had almost no problems with it. About 2 years ago the check engine light came on and then about 1 minute later the engine died in the middle of town. I had to have it towed in. The problem----needed new plugs, wires & the fuel system was cleaned. About 6 months ago the check engine light came on at home so I didn't go anywhere. My husband changed the plugs & wires, it sounded good so I drove it to Hyundai and they said the code was the plugs. They also changed the manifold gasket that was recalled while they had it.

OK, yesterday the check engine light came on while I was driving and again I was stranded in town. It was towed home. My hubby thinks we should try to change the plugs and wires again and get it to the dealer again.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?? Why does the car just shut down as soon as the light comes on?

Help me please!

THEN:

My husband changed the plugs & wires last night & the check engine light did go off. He talked to a mechanic that he knows and even showed him the old plugs & wires. The mechanic suggested that we buy a higher quality plug. (he says split fire) We've been getting the ngk that Hyundai recommends. He also suggested taking it to Hyundai and having the catalyitic converter checked out. (i think it's still under warranty)

TODAY:
update-----my husband drove it and after about 5 miles it died. We're thinking that it is the converter & it's going to the dealer in the morning.

OK, if you guys have any advice or have had this problem any suggestions would be great!!!! fing02.gif
Old 09-08-2005 | 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the catalytic converter will not make your car die if its bad. it will just not clena the exhaust gasses as well.

your problem is not plugs and wires. nearly every hyundai owner uses the ngk plugs and wires, and we can say they are durable as hell. tell them to check the ignition coil.
Old 09-08-2005 | 10:02 PM

not necessarily.. if the car is not burning fuel.. it is being ignited in the cat.. that will destroy the matrix inside and melt it into a solid mass.. choking off the exhaust.

I just find it odd that you keep having the same problem over and over and over again.. how many miles are on your tib?

Mine is at 113,000 and I JUST put in the third set of plugs and wires.
Old 09-09-2005 | 06:44 AM

^^107,000 miles. It makes me think that maybe I had another problem earlier this year that no one has found yet. It is at the dealer soI'll let you know when I hear from them. I'm going to make sure they check everything you guys are telling me about.

please don't double post

almost forgot, if the car sits for about an hour or so it will start again.
Old 09-09-2005 | 07:29 AM

Has it been WET / DAMP / Raining lots lately in you area?
Old 09-09-2005 | 08:16 AM

It was raining a lot, but it's been pretty dry for the past 2 weeks.
Old 09-09-2005 | 08:19 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Have you got the CEL scanned?
Old 09-09-2005 | 08:49 AM

seeing that i have 3 friends with rds what i have found on 2 of them with the same symptoms was the crank sensor was defective.
Old 09-09-2005 | 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Could well be the Crank sensor.

I'm leaning towards the TPS. That was the problem with my friend's.
Old 09-09-2005 | 12:16 PM

ecu reset would be a good thing. Timing may have been set back sooo much because of the old plugs that its not running right now. just an idea. also get the coilpack checked out at the dealer, I had mine go at 74,000. also check other simple stuff, air filter, fuel filter.