Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Chance To Swap Trans...

Old 09-14-2005 | 03:49 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Ok, so I'm looking at my mechanic's car lot (the man who makes wonders, builds engines and swaps them and does all our maintenance work for dirt cheap; the man who sold me the tiburon) and I see this wreck of a car. I mean, it's a convertible roof gone side smashed car and look at the fender. YEP it was a Silver 2001 Tiburon! It had no roof! I looked at the transmission and it was a manual in great shape. Clutch pedals, shifter, transmission all practically brand new.

As you all probably know I have an Automatic. The estimated price for a swap that he gave me was $1000, and since he already has a donor tib... (trust me folks, it's really a donor) it would probably be cheap. The transmission probably has very, very low mileage on it since the car was destroyed in its early days.

My questions are, is it completely possible to take everything from that convertible and transfer all of it to my car, pedals, transmission, shifter console the complete job and not have to worry about electronic failiures of anykind?

Is this worth it if I've beat beat beat my current Automatic transmission with daily and I mean real city sh*t non-stop, daily driver to school and back, 50mile driving, Florida travelling, horrible traffic, stop & go everyday, racing and heavy acceleration, heavy stopping sometimes, sharp turns, snow driving, 110k miles, and still it drives like new?

I mean I might be trading a perfectly good transmission and might get a worse one in return?
Old 09-14-2005 | 03:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Go to the car and see what the odometer says.

I guarantee, you should do it, and you'll love it.

Is HE doing the install also for that price?
Old 09-14-2005 | 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I'd do it! fing02.gif

Hey, what's another grand when you've just unloaded a bundle already?!
Old 09-14-2005 | 04:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

everything, labor & parts) is for that price, maybe $1200 at max for pedals and shifter and the whole filling of the cake.

I'd like to ride the Auto out to the bone but is it worth it? I'd also like to be having fun and pleasure with the car during the time I' going to have it and that's going to be 5-8 more years, maybe more who knows.
Old 09-14-2005 | 04:23 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Take it doode. DO it.

Trust me. You have no clue how much fun, and performance you are missing out on.
Old 09-14-2005 | 05:27 PM

DO IT!!!!

You will be damn happy with it! Swap the engine if it has low miles as well!
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

do it!

and hang on to your auto in case the manual is crap.
Old 09-14-2005 | 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I did it and will tell you it's DAMN worth it.
But make sure to refer him to the thread on how to keep your cruise control.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question .. YES, if you have a good condition 5spd tib and an auto tib you can swap them very easily with no extra hardware costs.

Since you might need some money to fund this project, wanna sell that SC^^? wink1.gif
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:06 PM

HKC, do it, it's the best mod you will ever feel in your car, even if it was OEM, and with the nice headers you have, and all the other mods, you will really take advantage from the swap.

Another thing, manual transmissions are as reliable as automatic transmissions on Hyundais, the most problems with transmissions come when you add a lot of power to your car (read: hi power boost) and you blow the transmission.

Unless someone can correct me, I don't think manual trannys are in any way weaker than autos (they get more abuse because you can really not get all the power from the engine with an auto so they are naturally protected by not giving all the manual can give).

Really, your car is sweet (I saw your other thread with the nicest pics) and it DESERVES to be a manual; an auto will always look oriented to show only, and your car has the looks for a goer wink1.gif
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:26 PM

i would do it, 5 spd>auto