Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Not Running Good

Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, fuel filter has been changed. I said that in almost every post on this thread. Read my man.
Fuel injectors have also been cleaned in the last 2 weeks. I ran a bottle of injection cleaner through the car about 2 months ago. I use cheapo gas. Trust me, its not water in the system.

I know i dont need a specific aem coupler. The store didnt have any in stock and have to order from their main warehouse here in the city.

There is a mechanic that lives across the street from my dad and he is the one who cleaned my maf sensor recently. He sprayed something into in. Not sure if he cleaned contacts.

As for the plug wires, wouldnt i have a constant problem if those are the wrong size?

Basically, the car was working like crap , almost everything has been changed. The only thing that made a significant difference was the TPS being changed, but problems arose after a few hours of driving. Searching through other threads, i found zoned019 had a problem, not with his tps, but the wires going to it. I may look into that.

I havent cleaned the IAT yet, waiting for this coupler. I will then install the aem intake.

The problem 2 nights ago, was driving on the highway and the car started running loud and rough and then slowly losing power. I would floor it and it was not accelerating, just continued to lose power, until it finally stalled and wouldnt start back up again.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:10 PM

after all that, I have to wonder if you didn't melt your cat.. The fact that the car got louder and lost power no matter what you did seems to point towards a clog in the exhaust.

You definatly need to find the root cause first though. Check your plug wires. I do not think that a couple of extra inches will cause too much or an issue, but if the length where they go into the head is the least bit wrong, you are going to get misfire issues.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:24 AM

Wouldnt a clogged cat be a constant problem and how would i know for sure if it is the cat?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM

it's a systemic problem. At idle, a melted cat probably idles fine. Once you try to force more air through it, it will start to be a bottleneck.

Have to wonder though, why did the previous owner replace the stock cat?

Also, you mentioned that your car was backfiring in the original post.. this was through the exhaust? Cars usually backfire for one reason only: unburnt fuel leaving the engine and igniting in the exhaust... extra fuel in the exhaust will melt the cat
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM

I've had issues in my jeep with old cat's being clogged. It will cause the vehicle to run fine sometimes but like madmachine said with any load it runs poorly. This is due to the fragments clogging the exhaust resulting in no power.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Yeah, basically my exhaust is like this: stock downpipe, high flow cat, resonator, and then a thrushpack or cherrybomb (dont really know what it is) and then magnaflow muffler. Stock exhaust. All done by previous owner. As to why he bought a high flow cat, not really sure. I found a receipt that said he had the cat and muffler welded on at the same time. Probably a crappy ebay race cat or something stupid.

I was planning on upgrading the exhaust system to something that makes sense, but have to put that on hold because of these problems.

I noticed yesterday, after we boosted the car battery, i was reving up the car at the tb and noticed smoke coming almost behind the headers or possibly the crack. Around that area somewhere. Possibly the gasket in behind?

Its gotten to the point where it could be ANYTHING. I cant keep replacing parts because i think thats the possible problem. I really dont know what to do anymore with this car.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Where exactly is the ecu box located? i tried searching, but search engine doesnt seem to like the word ecu and when i type in engine control unit. every post with the word engine or control or unit shows up. didnt notice any cramped wires behind pedal.

Also, how much do iat sensors go for?

Car is working fine now, but it also working fine for a couple before it stalled on me. Could evap solenoid be responsible for this?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

As you were told before, IAT sensors shouldn't ever need replaced, but YOURS does need cleaned before it's put in. It may be corroded after all that time sitting open in the engine bay, but, of course, you knew that.

The search works fine, just gotta know how to use it, and there are plenty of threads around here about that, ECU's, and how to swap them, I wonder if they might have pictures? Nahh, that'd be silly. Lastly, no one said anything about "cramped wires". I told you who had the problem, and where to look to see what he did to fix it, and you obviously haven't.

Since you seem to know everything, but are still asking for help, I'm done with this thread. Best of luck.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM

dont change youre IAT the only reason i had to change mine and the fact that it was messing with the car is because a wire was broke on it.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM

Redzman- When i go in search, i type in ECU and it comes up as no results. And I went on members, typed in ABQElantra and 4 pages come up with nothing concerning any problems he had with his car concerning the ecu. And excuse me, i meant to say worn through and damaged wires, not cramped. My apologies.

I will try to clean the iat sensor, but believe me, she's in pretty rough looking shape.

I guess ill just pm abqelantra to find out what problems he had.