Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Car Bogging Out Because Of A Fuel Filter Change?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird the other day I replaced my fuel filter. I bought the cheap fuel filter from auto zone (I think it was a az filter or something).. replaced my fuel filter following the DIY and I'm sure I installed it right. Now whenever I accelerate it my car bogs out. Does anyone think its the filter? Because it is a cheap filter and I never heard of the name. Maybe I should buy a new on like WIX or purolator? This started when I replaced the filter. What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Not sure but maybe try resetting the ECU? Maybe the old filter impeded flow and the ECU adjusted for that, not sure if that is the case (or even possible) though
Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

how bad of bogging? Try that reset.

I'm thinking however that some dirt got into the fuel rail after the change.

soo steps:
1. reset ecu
2. fuel system cleaner (b12 chemtool)
3. new filter
Old 01-14-2008, 07:06 PM

Autozone is bad for parts. Good for getting a random bolt, sealant, light bulb, fuse, etc, but not parts. Nothing is worse than buying parts for your car from Autozone because they're cheaper, and then realizing you should have spent the extra $3 to get a better brand elsewhere after you have to replace it again when it fails. Perfect example of that is this: years ago I bought a timing belt for my tiburon from autozone. It was a Dayco. (horrible brand btw) It lasted a week before I noticed a weird rhythmic noise under the hood at idle which got worse as RPM went up. Turns out, the belt began to shred itself apart. (don't even think about saying it was improperly installed) I went to a parts store with a very good reputation here in Charleston, and picked up a Gates (best brand possible) belt for half the price. Not a problem since.

Discount parts stores should be BANNED!!!

So... I don't believe for one second that the filter was installed improperly. Try a quality brand filter first, then if that doesn't work, I've had some experience with bad bogging with a dead TPS. Also, check all connectors and make sure you didn't knock any loose, such as the IAT sensor. If you removed the air cleaner to get to it like I did, then make sure you didn't install the MAF sensor backwards.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Ok I'm going to buy a more expensive filter (prob wix) and see if that does the job. If not ill try resetting my ecu and getting fuel cleaner. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

QUOTE (AGreen @ Jan 15 2008, 02:06 AM)
If you removed the air cleaner to get to it like I did, then make sure you didn't install the MAF sensor backwards.

Word. I seafoamed my engine and put this on backwards and my car did not want to idle at all and was stuttering the whole time. Easy mistake and even easier fix. Look for the big arrow on the MAF and make sure its pointing toward the TB.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM

QUOTE (bullfrog @ Jan 14 2008, 11:02 PM)
Word. I seafoamed my engine and put this on backwards and my car did not want to idle at all and was stuttering the whole time. Easy mistake and even easier fix. Look for the big arrow on the MAF and make sure its pointing toward the TB.

I didn't take off my intake at all. I jacked the car up so that's definitely not the problem tongue.gif
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM

YUP that cheap filter was such a waste of money. I put in a WIX fuel filter and now my car runs back to normal. I will never buy anything from autozone again.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Well the last post i put was a lie... I started my car yesterday for work and when i was leaving my driveway it didn't want to go because it was bogging out.. then i got it to go. After work it did the same thing but it almost stalled idling at a red light. I don't know why the heck it would be doing this after a fuel filter install. I can tell you that I'm really mad at my car right now though. Anyone have any ideas? sad.gif
Old 01-19-2008, 05:03 PM

i have not changed my fuel filter yet but looks from the diy that its a little tight down there. make sure you did not knock any wires lose. like a injector clip. i know its not close to it but it doesnt hurt to check