Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cant Get My Exhaust Cam To Move To Get Engine Tdc

Old 01-26-2009 | 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Are you sure? lol, double check.

Honestly I spent like an hour trying to move the goddamn thing until I finally realized I wasn't in neutral, and I felt like a complete tard, but it happens. You shouldn't have to put much pressure on it. If it doesn't turn and you're sure it's in neutral then I don't know, good luck.
Old 01-26-2009 | 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i will double check lol, but im pretty positive, and if it is in gear.... my cams will magically start moving as if nothing was wrong because i wont be telling you guys it was in gear lol
Old 01-27-2009 | 05:15 AM

Its a habit to put the car in gear when you get out. It is a pain to try to remember NOT to put it in gear. No shame if it IS in gear.

BTW the cams will move if you try to start it because you have to push the clutch in.
Old 01-27-2009 | 06:13 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've never understood the theory of leaving it in gear.

Even when I worked in San Francisco I just used my Ebrake.
Old 01-27-2009 | 07:42 AM

To keep the e-brake line from freezing. Probably more so on older cars but if your boot is damaged, the line can freeze and rust and be held in place. had it happen to me.
Old 01-27-2009 | 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Your e-brake is a cable that can snap, and relies on brakes that may not be up to snuff after x years. But it will probably work. You get an added margin of safety and roll prevention by leaving the transmission in a low gear (1 or R), because the engine compression makes it harder to move the car. Every rotation of the engine has a couple of spots where you are fighting the final drive ratio and the gear ratio, multiplying the engine's compression. It might roll, but it would start rolling very r-r-r-r-oughly, and you get a second-chance to stop the car moving. Of course, you should also be cutting your wheels in to the curb on a slope, so then you have the brake, engine, and curb, working together to keep your car still.

It's a belt-and-suspenders approach to keeping your stationary car stationary.
Old 01-27-2009 | 12:16 PM

hmm well none of this stuff about leaving your ebrake on isnt helping, but my car was not in gear so that defiantly not the problem. me and my friend pulled on it pretty hard, it started to make a clicking noise but idk if that was the crescent wrench or not, but it still wouldnt move. Any other ideas on what the problem could be or what i could do to fix it. Should i try moving the cam and the bolt on the timing pulley at the same time, or should i just blip the starter until its close enough. i also read that you can get the engine TDC by rolling the car back and forth or something like that.
Old 01-27-2009 | 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

try loosening up your accessory belts (ac,water/alt, and ps) then DON"T use a crecent wrench, thats a really good way to round that bolt off. Then use a wrench or ratched to turn it over. If you can't do it get a breaker bar or a cheater bar(piece of pipe), just slip the pipe over the ratchet and then you have that much more leverage. You can also use a large closed end wrench on the end of the ratchet to give you more torque.
Old 01-27-2009 | 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

OOOOOOOoooooooooooooh wait a minute. If your timing belt broke and you bent the intake valves severely, you may not be able to rotate the engine to TDC with your own muscles, and may not want to do it with the starter motor.

If that's what happened, you have 1 option: remove the head, replace the valves (if you're lucky, ONLY replace the valves) and reinstall the head. If the valves are as bent as all that, you may have some ugly surprises when you pull the head.
Old 01-27-2009 | 03:09 PM

yea i have no clue whats wrong with the engine in the first place, all i know is that 2 of the cylinders arent getting enough compression, so i was planning on taking the head off in anyways i just wanted to get it TDC first.

Ok i finally got my cam to move, i blipped the starter a couple times and then put my ass into and it finally started to move. Im pretty sure its at TDC i snapped a few pictures just to make sure. But im still kinda worried if i had to pull as hard as i did to move it when a lot of people said that it was fairly easy to move. Now my next step is to take the head off.... wheres the DIY to do that lol

You cant see the marking through the hole on the picture, but im pretty sure its where its supposed to be.

These markings look right too

A few more pictures

thanks for the help guys

and no my car wasnt in gear lol