Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cams?

Old 12-03-2001, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheuk - what cams do the people with turbochargers use over there?
Old 12-04-2001, 12:54 AM

Best to use your Stock Cams if your running any form of forced induction.You dont wat higher duration or cam lift cams when running a Turbo.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:20 AM
Red

Actually...

Lift and duration will never hurt any car, and high duration cams are excellent for turbo cars. The problem isn't duration, it's overlap. If you have a huge amount of duration but a very small lobe seperation, then you will get lots of overlap and the turbo car will not perform as well.

The best cams to get for a turbo car have lots of duration, but a very wide lobe seperation as well.

-Red-
Old 12-04-2001, 08:46 AM

2UNIQ is partially right. USUALLY the stock cam works as well or better than most "turbo" and definately better than most NA cams. But if you can find a good cam shop and designer, a long duration, high lift, MINIMAL overlap cam like RED mentioned is the way to go.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

Right now I'll probably just remain N/A

I really don't see a turbo/super in my future, maybe NOS, but thats about it, would it be to my benefit to keep my old cams if I do decide to go NOS?

By the way how much are those HVE high duration cams?

And what kind of performance increase will I see with a mostly stock setup with new cams? I wouldn't be expecting much, I'd just like to put the groundwork in for a good N/A setup.

And my last question, which is off topic now, but it will sort of fit into the performance aspect of my car. If I don't decide to do a tranny swap to manual, what can I do to make my auto a stronger transmission?
Old 12-04-2001, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Cheuk in Seoul:
2UNIQ is partially right. USUALLY the stock cam works as well or better than most "turbo" and definately better than most NA cams. But if you can find a good cam shop and designer, a long duration, high lift, MINIMAL overlap cam like RED mentioned is the way to go.

Would either Elantra Beta intake cam be preferable to the 2.0L Tiburon cam?