Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Which Cam?

Old 12-10-2003 | 09:25 AM

Default Hyundai Plant Opening - June 2004

88'?? awesome! i want an 88' tibby! is it carberuated??!!? laugh.gif
Old 12-10-2003 | 05:42 PM

Default WTB: Speedometer trim ring!

ok ok... don't you have something more important to do than make fun of my typos?
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:50 PM

are you loooking to get the 1.8 cam installed at a shop? cause i have the gt cam as well.. but its just sitting here cause it costs more then twice as much as the cam cost to install the damn thing.. so i was just wonderin what kind of prices your paying to install it..
Old 12-17-2003 | 04:24 PM

someday I will install mine.. I have tried for the last two weekends.. the first we had blizzard like conditions and I could not make it to work to do it (large heated warehouse) and the second we had torrential rains and flooding and I could not get off of the island.. crossing my fingers for this weekend.
Old 12-17-2003 | 08:15 PM

NightShark, you don't need a shop to do it. It only takes about 45 minutes if you are familiar with the valve cover removal process and have any mechanical inclination. You just need a good torque wrench and need to be able to line up two dots or a dot and an odd colored chain link in the cam chain. There has to be a write up on this somewhere. If not, I will do one when I paint my valve cover sometime this break, in fact, I have an extra engine I can do it on even easier. Give me till the weekend after Christmas.
Old 12-17-2003 | 10:10 PM

QUOTE (drafter)
NightShark, you don't need a shop to do it. It only takes about 45 minutes if you are familiar with the valve cover removal process and have any mechanical inclination. You just need a good torque wrench and need to be able to line up two dots or a dot and an odd colored chain link in the cam chain. There has to be a write up on this somewhere. If not, I will do one when I paint my valve cover sometime this break, in fact, I have an extra engine I can do it on even easier. Give me till the weekend after Christmas.

What kind of extra engine to you have?
Old 12-18-2003 | 05:36 PM

Beta 1. It came out of a 99 elantra with 29,000 miles. I'll get to work on a write up this weekend.
Old 12-18-2003 | 10:53 PM

Default A good read!

QUOTE (drafter)
Beta 1. It came out of a 99 elantra with 29,000 miles. I'll get to work on a write up this weekend.

Do you still need it?

*edit....sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
Can you PM or email me about this?
Old 12-23-2003 | 11:12 PM

I finally got my cam installed.. along with a new cam belt and a UR underdrive pulley. While I cannot say if there is any power difference yet, there is a definent difference in the idle.. the sound is a little lower, less refined.

Friday I have to drill and tap one of the cam bold down bolts.. Hyundai has five "caps" that hold the cam down.. each bolt gets torqued to 9 pounds.. well, 9 of them torqued perfectly.. number ten (actually number 5) snapped in half.. so I do not feel like really driving the car until I get it repaired.
Old 12-24-2003 | 11:18 AM

Voiddweller - Yes, I am keeping the engine.

Mad-Machine. I noticed the same thing with my idle after the cam install. I have just learned to live with it. That sucks about the cap bolt. A fair amount of people have had the problem with breaking those off. Did you get a replacement yet?