Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Cai Questions

Old 03-18-2002, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cai Questions

Hey, i got a couple questions, have u ever heard those hondas with just a intake and they sound really good like they have headers and **** it but they dont. Well i tryed to make my own intake and riped everything out and put and cone filter on the end of my mafs but it just sound the same, how come? is it b/c my intake is still rubber and pastic and the hondas have metal piping or what? and what would be the best set up for a south florida 2001 autotragic tibby? thanks alot, fred
Old 03-18-2002, 11:33 PM

The "metal piping" helps a ton because it gives something to resonate the sound, making it louder. Also, like with the Random Special, placement of the filter can change the sound also. With a Random Special, the filter sits in the front fenderwell, which gives the intake a good snarl sound when you accelerate. VERY SWEET sound and for only $40, it's well worth it! Since you already have a cone filter, you should only have to spend about $14 more for the flexible exhaust tubing to route the intake. Then all you have to do is heat-wrap it if you choose.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The material of the intake, it's shape, and filter location all affect the sound.

The "smooth bore" intakes, like KORE/MHP/AOS and most honda intakes are rather loud, and have a "snarly" sort of sound. The denser material of the flexable exahust tubong use in the random special, and the "spirals" in the tubing dampen the sound somewhat, and "lower" the pitch of it quite a bit.

The Kore/MHP/Random Special all put the filter in the same place, in more or less the same way, but the tubing makes the sound difference. The KORE/MHP design is Louder, and higher pitched. The RS is a tad quiter, and a tad lower pitched.

When Rob of Hyundaiperformance does the CAI dyno showdown, I'm going to try to record the 'sound' of each intake, as each should be fairly distictive.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:17 AM

So are you gonna also put Type-R decals too..hehe