Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

CAI question..

Old 05-25-2002 | 04:15 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default CAI question..

Hi what can i do for my a/spec tiburon for a cai??
I tried to relocate the vapour canistor but its a pita... sad.gif
What are my options now??
Should i get the aos cai or any thing else??
Secondary to all the 1st gen owners what is your suggestion on this matter??What have you done to your cars regarding air intake?
I know that this has been covered probably in previous posts but i need a solution{not snorkus mod}that will provide my tib fresh cool air.If you have any pics i would appreciate it..
LFF your answers... smile.gif
Old 05-25-2002 | 04:25 AM

2 options
1. AOS CAI - if you just want something that bolts on.

2. Make your own AOS CAI! I orginally thought the AOS was Aluminum, but it's STEEL! Well Aluminized Steel, painted to your choice of 3 colors, but it's up to you. J@WS01 made an AOS style CAI for one of the guys here, for like $30 worth of piping $10 worth of high temp paint, and a $30 filter, oh and a 3/4" drill bit for the IAT hole.
Here's a pic:

Luckily we had BV1's AOS to trace a pattern out of. BTW BV1 may still have his AOS for sale, if your interested, go look in the for sale forum
Old 05-25-2002 | 04:53 AM

Can you please tell me the specs of this tube??
I would like to know the inner and outer diameter
of this tube if possible,,,,
Thanks in advance.. wink
Old 05-25-2002 | 05:00 AM

I'll email J@WS01
Old 05-25-2002 | 11:55 PM

HEY KayJai,,
I saw in older posts that Curtas and Neo_Tib had relocated the battery{inside the engine bay}and passed the cai tube through a hole near the battery.Do you think i could do that?I am afraid that if i pass the tube through that hole would i have spare room to fit the filter??{My vapour canistor is very big}.I am very interested at that setup.Does this hole need drilling or it has sth like cover?Can anybody post me some pics of this setup and instructions in detail on how to cut the battery tray or how to open that hole near the battery??

PS>I repeat that my canistor is very big.Will the filter fit through the hole next to the battery??I dont want to drill the hole and then not be able to pass the filter through it..
Old 05-26-2002 | 12:38 AM

KayJai,,
I just took a quick look at my tib.Well the only hole i can see is behind the clearcorner lense.Am i correct?In order to pass the tube through that hole i have to trim the metal part.Should i trim it to the bottom side??Furthermore from what i saw i dont need to change the batterys position because my spiral tube can make it to that way if i bend it a bit..Do you think its bad to bend the tube??Will i lose performance??
Finally where should i attach the filter afterwards so it wont move???
Thanks in advance...
LFF your answer..
Old 05-26-2002 | 01:06 AM

Hi again i just made a little search again.So if i drill the hole under the battery tray will i have enough space for my filter to fit though my canistor is huge???
What if i pass the tube at the hole behind the clear corner lense??Does it worth it KayJai??what is your opinion on that??
So my questions are:
1}If i cut the hole under the battery tray am i ok?
2}If i pass the tube at the hole{which ill trim}behind the clearcorner lense will it worth??Or ill lose performance.

PS:I forgot to tell you i already have constructed an aos style copy but i am not satisfied..
Old 05-26-2002 | 01:16 AM

You have 2 choice if you want a true CAI

1. relocate the charcoal canister so you can cut a hole by the battery (battery need to be angled)and pass through 3" piping

2. buy/make and AOS style intake.

3. relocate the charcoal canister and wait fothe SharkRacing CAI.
Old 05-26-2002 | 01:19 AM

If you have an A-Spec tib then no there will not be enuf room to get the filter in that area with the cannister and you will have to settle for the AOS style. It's definately better than nothing.

As far as specs for the pipe it's just 3" Mandrel bent exhaust pipe (aluminized steel).. the piece used for the AOS and my style is a single 90 degree bend
Old 05-26-2002 | 01:28 AM

correction on that.....the custom made AOS style take 2 pipes of 90 degree to make that style.