Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

cai in fender ?

Old 06-06-2002 | 02:50 PM

Default cai in fender ?

I was looking at my fender well the other day thinking about trying the new sr cai when the dynos come out if it goes there like some of the others. I have an aos right now, so I havent cut anything yet. My question is : My fender seems pretty closed up unless you cut open a hole to the actual wheel well. How is alot of cold air supposed to rush in there to the filter ? I don't know alot about CAI's , but I am a computer expert/overclocker. If you put a computer fan (even huge 12cm 120cfm) in a case with no intake holes or restricted holes, you can virtually cut off almost all the airflow and benefit due to it being rather closed up and having no access to fresh outside air.
Why does this not affect a CAI , or does it ?
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2002 | 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Crawl under your car (jack stands or ramps help).

You will see a gap between the plastic engine shielding and the fenderwell shielding. It's about 3" to 4" wide and about 12" to 16" long.

The fender well is also not "air tight".

The air in the fenderwell should be within 0-5 degrees of outside air temp, yet provide protection for your air filter from the debris on the road and the elements (water).

The air filter location is NOT a "high pressure" area, in fact, it is probably a "low pressure" area, but it is a "compramise" location. It offers the best combination of coldest air and the best protection. There are places you could mount an air filter that would allow you to get a tad colder air, but they would expose the air filter to debris and water on rainy days. There are more protected spots, but they are "warmer" air temp wise.

For Example, the AOS design is 'safer' air and water wise, but, since the filter is in the engine compartment, it is a warmer location.
Old 06-07-2002 | 02:01 AM

Thanks, Random, I figured there had to be something I couldn't see. Can't wait to see the dynos! I still can't find the post where someone was saying they dyno'd the kore and mhp and they gained/lost like 1 on tq and hp.
That's what made me hypothesize on this fender thing, I thought it was maybe because no air was getting to them!
tongue.gif
Old 06-07-2002 | 03:12 AM

Along to what Random said, the Fenderwell IS the best place to locate the CAI. And if you really wanted more rushing air, say during a track day. Take your driver's side foglight off. Lotsa rushing air then