Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

CAI or Cone air filter

Old 02-26-2002 | 01:23 PM

Default CAI or Cone air filter

i have a cone air filter on the end of my stock tubing. I have a 97 1.8 L automatic. Should i invest in a CAI or stick with the cone. What hp difference would i see. Thanks
Old 02-26-2002 | 01:42 PM

Right now you have no hp increase. If you want some hp, you have to get a real cai intake. Hp can vary depending on what brand intake you buy. Some people build their own. Some have Kore's and others have MHP's intake. Some are waiting for Shark Racings version to finally come out. I have the AOS inatake, and I love it. Since I haven't done a dyno, I can't say for sure the exact hp gains, put it feels like I gained at least 5to7 hp. SR is suppose to be doing a CAI showdown. They will be dynoing all the intakes for the tibs and posting the results. Bottom line, get rid of that cone filter and buy a CAI!

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: Jaws ]
Old 02-26-2002 | 02:33 PM

How can you say that there hasn't been a hp increase? I'd say there has just for the fact that there is less resistance in the materials used as the filter element. A higher volume of air is being received due to the fact that the surface area of the whole filter element is exposed to the air and that there is less volume to fill with no piping and therefore a slight increase in throttle response. Now, the only disadvantage i can see here is intake temperature. But with the stock air box set up, the actual plastic from the TB to the air box would conduct the heat from the engine and heat the ambient intake air so all facts considered both set-ups may have the same intake air temp. but the cone set-up will have a higher air intake velocity and if by chance there is a velocity stack on the cone, it would make it much more aerodynamic and increase the velocity further!
just my 2cents
Old 02-26-2002 | 02:37 PM

meaning more Hp!!

just to prove my theory, remove the cone and wrape panty hose over the end of the MAF. This will, in the extreme, act as the lowest possible resistance filtering element. Low resistance = high velocity. High velocity = a little more hp.
Old 02-26-2002 | 03:27 PM

I don't think it is an actual increase in HP, because after all, the stock air intake is sucking in SOMEWHAT cooler air, and the airbox does provide some protection I believe. I mean, after all, after your engine has been running a while, you can still put your hand on the stock airbox without burning yourself or anything (yes I realize it is just plastic, but still). I think more what just adding a cone filter does is gives slightly better throttle response, not really HP. Sure, there's more surface for it to suck in air, but the air in hotter. Now, in the instance of a CAI, it brings in considerably cooler air, with the same amount of surface area to suck up the air. The better way to go is most definitely a Cold Air Intake. smile.gif
Old 02-27-2002 | 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The answer will be settled when Rob of HP.Com does his dyno showdown. He will be testing a standard cone filter strapped on to the end of the MAF.

In general, I would say that a filter on the end of the MAF DOES increase HP over the stock airbox setup. More importanly, it increases throttle response vs the stock airbox setup, which makes it FEEL much more powerful than it is.

I do believe that a "real" CAI will show larger gains on the dyno vs a cone filter strapped to the MAF, however, the "real" test is driving.

Underhood heat is the enemy of ANY CAI. The CAI tube will heat up, which can heat up the intake air. This is most noticable when you have a filter strapped to the MAF. The filter can easily be sucking in 150 degree air while driving in traffic. Not a great recipe for HP. Ditto for the "lauch" at a drag strip or at a stoplight.

Is the filter strapped to the MAF better than the stock intake system. Marginally, but it is "better" performance wise at speed. At low speed, I'll put my money on the stock setup.
Old 03-18-2003 | 08:43 PM

sorry to ressurrect an old post BUT i did search endlessly to find the results of the dyno showdown that random mentions above.

im really looking to see how the kore intake performed as im getting it from the states in a few days.

can anyone help? i realise its a long time ago!!
Old 03-23-2003 | 12:14 AM

anyone? helllooo? poke