Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

CAI

Old 07-21-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southern Chapter 20th ToDAY!!!

I know that you loose same power due to the valve but is that extra 1-3 horsies worth the risk of hydro locking. With the Injen the filter is high enought that the entire tranny would have to be under water for it to suck it up. But from what I've seen (correct me if I am wrong) on the AEM system the filter is basicly right behind the drivers side fog light. And since I dont have fogs oops.gif There is only a vent there so any water would be able to come right through the front. Yes? No?
Old 07-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Post Count

Yes, the AEM sits right behind the hole for the fog light. I have been told that the entire filter has to be submersed for it to suck in watter though.

I am in the same delima that you are, is not having the loss in power worth running a risk of hydrolocking your engine? It floods around here about 3 to 4 times a year.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: CAI

It rains here all the time (Nashville, TN). It's never bad, except for maybe 3-5 times every summer the roads will be covered in water, and it's not always easy to tell whether it'll submerge the filter or not.

MrPSXplyr just came extremely close to hydrolocking his engine. I don't think you can come any closer than that. In my opinion, although it's different front everyone elses, the Bypass Valve isn't going to cause you to lose that much HP. I really don't see how it could have that much of an affect on it. It's an open hole, and with that much pressure, and the engine sucking the air in, I doubt it's going to seep out through the bypass valve. Just my opinion though. My first performance mod was an AEM CAI with a Bypass Valve, and I was able to notice a difference.

In my opinion, if you do lose horsepower due to the Bypass Valve, it's not going to be worth the extra 2, maybe 3HP to risk hydrolocking.

-155HP without Bypass Valve + Risk of Hydrolocking
-153HP with Bypass Valve while being worry free of ever hydrolocking

I would go with the second one. You're going to definitely be drawing in a lot more air than a stock engine, and while having the Bored IM/TB and CAI, I think the vacuum will be strong enough not to let too much air seep out through the Bypass Valve.

And yes, CAI sits right behind fog lights. You can see the tube to the left of my rotors:
Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Which One would you suggest???

In the pic it looks like you completly took the splash sheild off. Did you?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

yes I did. I cut the hole for it and everything was fine, but then one day I heard something dragging everytime I would brake. My first fear was that part of my front bumper had broken off and i was dragging it. I pulled into a gas station and got under the car, and the splash guard had torn itself loose, so I just cut the rest of it off.

I also removed the inner fender well lining, now the air coming in through the front bumper scoops goes directly to the brakes
Old 07-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Post Count

hey ultra...did your injen coem w/ an extra elbow that goes between the MAF and TB???

I'd like to get ahold of that if you're willing to sell that seperately from the rest.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Springs and Struts?

Yeah it came with one, does the AEM one come with one or does it use the stock elbow?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default Re: recent developments...

you gotta use the factory elbow
Old 07-21-2004, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've got one of those Injen Elbows sitting here that Hobgoblin gave me, I might use it, but the color doesn't match. It's a darker blue.