Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Burning Clutch

Old 07-27-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: petition to get tiburons turbocharged stock

Ok, so not the smartest decision ever, but I let one of my friends drive my tib tonight because he said that he knew how to drive a 5-speed.

I was standing outside of the car and when he was taking off, I noticed that he had it reved really high and wasn't going anywhere. :roll: He got about 10 feet when I noticed a huge cloud of white smoke comming from underneath my car. evil.gif

He drove about 50 feet in total before I was able to stop him and the smoke was comming out the entire time. The smell of burnt clutch is still lingering around my car. My pedal feels a little spongy, but that is probably because I drove like 200 miles today. It is normal for my clutch to feel spongy after driving for a while. (I need to do the clutch mod in the DIY section smile.gif )

My question is, should I be worried about this? My warranty is up in 4000 miles and I don't want the clutch to go out after that. Should I take it to the dealer and act like I don't know what is going on?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:54 PM

Default What tires should I get?

Sorry man the clutch isn't covered under warrenty anyway!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: AirRAm+Strutbar=DONE!!

Really?

I was told that it was. I know for a fact that Mitusbishi covers the clutch.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: *POSSIBLE* Lambo Door GB

Sorry about your clutch. It happend to me recently and it sucks. Unfortunately, the clutch is considered a wear and tear item, not covered on warranty. You can try, you never know, if you make up a convincing story you might be able to pull one over their eyes. Good luck, the worse thing that can happen is that they tell you no.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: HELP HYDROLOCKED!!

QUOTE (TibRacer01)
Ok, so not the smartest decision ever, but I let one of my friends drive my tib tonight because he said that he knew how to drive a 5-speed.

Unless they have a manual themselves its ALWAYS a lie, trust me.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Blacktibs in a nutshell

Well, I drove the car to work today and the clutch feels normal. Do you guys think that anything serious was done?

Obviously, this is not good on the clutch, but shouldn't it be able to withstand some abuse? Just wondering. I want the clutch and flywheel from Kspec but I do not have the money for it right now and I do not want to pay to stick an oem clutch in only to replace it later.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: WTB: Stock RD2 Wheels

you say your warranty is almost up.......is it the factory warranty (10yr/100k miles)????

if so, dont you think almost 100k miles on the stock clutch (if it had not already been replaced, or replaced recently) would be considered abuse???

and i dont mean like pulling it out and beating the crap out of it kind of abuse.....

but still, And I dont care how great you are at driving manual, thats alot of wear......

Its GOING to give at some point......I suggest you start saving up for the VHR combo....or just go to ebay and get one....they have the stock clutches.....if money is that tight kidnap a friend and make them help you install it.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Making my Tib go

There probably was alot of wear done to your clutch. Mine gave out after 50,000 miles and that's because I don't abuse my car often. If yours lasted almost 100,000 miles than your clutch did it's job.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Making my Tib go

No, I only have 47,000 miles on my car.

I bought it used and Hyundai told me that the only warranty that transfers is the 5year/50,000 mile warranty.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Pay Pal class action settlement

did you buy it used FROM the dealership???

I thought that the warranty was good no matter wether the title or ownership was transferred (buying the car).......I'll have to look it up though....I dont remember there being anything in there about the 10/100k being just for the original owner......

BUT, if you signed it and it does say 5/50, you're screwed. Sorry.

Try calling a couple of other hyundai dealerships and see what they say about the warranty.......some of em are kind of shady.....I've dealt w/ a couple, and i know a couple other ppl here have as well.