Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Brainstorm or Brainfart?

Old 04-02-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brainstorm or Brainfart?

So as I am still waiting for Alpine to fix my fuel management problem, a light went off in my head. I've got the coolant lines to my Throttle body disconnected to aid in a colder intake temp. Why couldn't I rig up some kind of liquid cooler and run that to the throttle body instead of the nice hot fluid from the engine?
Alpine currently has a liquid to air intercooler in their 03 v6 supercharger so why can't us 4cyl owner rig something similar up? Just a brainstorm or is it a brain fart? Would such a system even make a difference? dunno
Old 04-02-2003, 10:43 PM
Red

Wouldn't make a difference...

The coolant lines are there to heat up the throttlebody in the winter to make sure your throttle plate doesn't stick to the wall. The coolant really only heats up the walls anyway...

If you think about it logically for a second, in wide-open throttle situations where air is flowing past at 200+ CFM, the wall of your throttlebody has very little to do with the final temperature result of the air.

You need a lot more surface area (such as an air to water intercooler) in order to get all that air to cool down. And even in that case, they are only bringing the heat of the air down to not-even-ambient just because the supercharger expells such hot air.

So the short answer: if you're not doing forced induction, a CAI is about all you need to keep cooler air coming in.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:57 PM

Red,

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured....so I guess it was more of a brainfart eh? Speaking of conf calls..... suicide