Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Box intake manifold project and discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

^^^^ Dont forget this is for a Boosted car!!!!

Looks good, If you get it working, and are welling to fab another, I will throw down for one!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

2nd for being interested in purchase but I want to see some Dyno results between this and the stock unit.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Originally Posted by Stocker
Wow I didn't realize you wanted runners that short. If the box is to attach directly to the runners as shown, it might be tuned way above the speeds your engine can turn, nevermind the power band.

I think there may be some confusion here, regardless of the length of the runners the engine will only suck in as much air at idle as atmospheric pressure will allow, hence why ITBs are able to work just fine for an NA build...the only concern being the fuel tune to accomodate the added fast moving air.

Moving air does not like 90 deg bends, by making this style intake I will be eliminating a lot of air travel, restriction and poor flow to the 4th cylinder. Lets not forget the size of the intake valves and the ports leading to the combustion chamber, they are very large since drawing air in is the hardest thing for a motor to do, the exhaust side of the motor is always smaller since spitting out gasses is much easier. The best way to make effective use of air velocity is to start with a large opening and force it into a smaller space, exhaust is just the opposite...thus the 3" exhaust on boosted cars.

I will not be doing any dyno pulls with the stock manifold since you can see from the pics im missing about 75% of it. A stock manifold will work just fine for making lots of power since a member at NT.com is making 500+ with it, however using my design I will require less boost to make the same numbers since there will be less restriction.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I think you need to to a great deal of reading up on the tuning of the length of runners in an intake manifold before you go posting stuff like that. An intake manifold can help or hurt power output of the engine at a specific rpm range, due to the reflected pressure waves generated by the valves. Long runners are for low engine speed, short runners are for high engine speed. The shape of the surge tank also affects these reflected pressure resonances. Surge tank size affects throttle response.

There are well-established maths involved in the design of an intake manifold, and the above post makes me think you haven't done them for this item.

Still, it looks like fun.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Correct but dont forget I am tuning my motor based on forced air movement, that point alone will reduce the effect of the points you mentioned much more than if it were an NA setup. I am concerned about forcing as much air into the motor as fast as I possibly can, the overall air volume of the surge tank I am using is roughly the same volume as the stock one its just designed to provide better directed air flow to the 4th cylinder. This coupled with larger intake ports, oversize valves and widened valve throats, high lift/low duration cams dont make for comfort.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM

since I was on duty for 24hrs there was lots of time to accomplish some tasks with the manifold. All parts are cut out of the 3/16 aluminum sheet, slightly oversized so they can me made true and even with a machine. I began removing the casting imperfections that are present in the manifold runners, there are lots so I stopped with 1 complete, 1 half complete to show low and high points, and two that are still untouched.

Pics will be posted tomorrow of the runners and with everything mocked up crudely.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the club of People Who Have Found The Hard Way a Hyundai Casting Will Be Poorly Finished. At least with the bend cut out you'll be able to clean out all the flash & shift.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Ok here are some updates, as you may be able to tell all the parts are cut out and are still about 2mm larger than the planned dimensions so we can shave and cut as required. Also I took some pics of the work done to the runners at different stages. Finally everything crudely mocked up.

Enjoy!

2 indents.

One the inside.

Casting lines, these were on both sides of all the runners.

Other little imperfection that was on all runners...gone now.

Now for the box manifold.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Looks GREAT!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the "little imperfection that was on all runners" wasn't there to start separating the air to the left/right side in the head. You were there with the grinder, not me, just thinking "out loud"