Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Blowoff valve question

Old 09-02-2001 | 02:24 PM

Default Blowoff valve question

Hey Random, with the Alpine Turbo kit and my 98 tiburon will I need to get a blowoff valve? I am being told that since my car has a mass-air sensor that I will need to get one. Any comments thanks Eric
Old 09-02-2001 | 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

A BOV would be reccomended. Preferablly a unit that does not vent into the atsmophere, but vents back into the intake pipe as a bypass.

This is the type you are looking for...
http://www.turboxs.com/racing_bypass_valve.htm
Old 09-03-2001 | 02:13 PM

Doesn't the waste gate that comes with the kit take care of everything? Will there be any problems by having both the BOV and waste gate. Thanks HondaEater
Old 09-03-2001 | 07:29 PM

No you do need a blow off valve...If you want of course your engine to last long... You see when the turbo spools, high pressure is created before the throttle body...Now, by releasing the gas pedal, the throttle body closes, so there should be a way of releasing the excess amount of compressed air, since, if the throttle body is closed, it is not used anywhere, and it DOES stresses the turbo unit...So if you don't use a BOV you will result with a damage at the turbo, so you will loose alot of money.... Buy one as soon as possible...
The wastegate is placed in a different place, and does another job...If you loke I can tell you exactly what it does, but If I do know I will get alot off the point...
Plus a BOV makes a *very* nice sound...

Hope I helped...

-Tasos-
Old 09-03-2001 | 07:30 PM

I forgot to say, that a proper turbo setup, should have both wastegate and BOV...
So, by having both, not only won't do any harm, but It will do good to your pocket...

-Tasos-
Old 09-03-2001 | 11:30 PM

Will the BOV that vents back into the system like Random said also make that cool noise? or is that just the ones that vent to the atmosphere?
Old 09-04-2001 | 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The units that vent into the outside can make noise or be silent. The unit that vents back into the intake will make noise...but no the "hissing" sound everyone associates with a normal BOV.
Old 09-04-2001 | 03:40 AM

What is the advantage of a recycling BOV instead of one that vents to the atmosphere? Is it just a conservation-of-pressure sort of thing, or are there other advantages?
Old 09-04-2001 | 04:33 AM

In a MAFS car, when you vent to the atmosphere, the car thinks it's getting a lot of flow, then you spray some into the engine bay, so it's dumping fuel for a lot of air, but the air isn't there, because you just vented it.

This can cause surging, stalling, or a really rough idle.

When you recirculate it, the amount of air entering the engine stays the same, albeit at a lower pressure now. The computer can accomodate this.

a
Old 09-04-2001 | 05:45 AM

So..instead of going to the atmosphere, where does the new air line go from the BOV? Back to near your throttle body or intercooler?