Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

BIM

Old 07-17-2002 | 01:10 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster
Default BIM

I was reading the posts on BIM/BBTBs and did some research around me and found a machine shop that will do it for cheap. Is the only thing bored on the BIMs in the chain topic that main cylinder or are they also boring the runners as well? Also does boring the TB achieve the same effect as a larger aftermarket TB? Thanks
Old 07-17-2002 | 01:46 PM

Yes, the intake hole, and the runners are bored out. And I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, since you buy an aftermarket TB to have a bigger one, and that's what boring does, is makes it bigger.. so I think you're good to go! Just make sure the shop knows what they're doing.
Old 07-17-2002 | 11:26 PM

Get both the IM and TB done at the same time so that they can be mathced to the same size.
Old 07-18-2002 | 02:14 AM

If you buy aftermarket (recommended) give them the TB to match port it to the intake manifold. If you can avoid boring out a TB then do, otherwise its a cheap alternative.
Old 07-18-2002 | 03:14 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster

Would it still be worth it if he could only bore the main cylinder and not the runners or would it be more work than its worth?
Old 07-18-2002 | 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

To be honest, no one has tested just a BIM bore job vs the gains of a *onpol* job which gasket matches the runner openings, and also polishes the last 4-6* of intake runner.

You'd have to do a back to back dyno test (same day, same dyno, same car) for it to be valid.

My guess is that it doesn't make that big of a difference until you start getting fairly serious with the N/A mods. For just the usual bolt ons of CAI, BTB, BIM...I doubt it would make more than 1-2 HP difference.