Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Big Bore Throttle....

Old 05-02-2002, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bore Throttle....

Hey what's up guys? I have a question...
A friend of mine has a 2nd gen tibby and ordered the throttle body from SharkRacing. He's getting rid of his car so he sold it to me. I have a 1st gen, and from what I understand it's the same under the hood. I don't know the exact terminology for it, but on the underside of the old throttle body there are what looks like 2 vaccuum hoses going into it. When I took the old one off I realized those 2 lines were actually connected inside of the throttle body itself, ya know you blow air through one and it comes out of the other one (it blew a bunch of crap in my eye, don't ask). Ok so I went to put the new one on and looked underneath it...there ARE 2 holes for the hoses but it's like a dead-end in each one. Maybe it wasn't drilled all the way through? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-02-2002, 11:11 PM

By the way, I heard an intake from a 92-95 civic would fit...would I need to make any adjustments?
Old 05-02-2002, 11:16 PM

here is an install guide forthe big bore throttle body. http://www.teamsr.org/installguide/tb_inst...b_instal_01.htm
the two tubes you route them together. they will make a u shape. i have one on my car so if this dosent help email me and i will let you know. I heard that once but then i also heard that they had to do mass stuff to get it to fit. I didnt want to go through the hassel so i just bought one from speedstate.com sharkracing.com is coming out with one soon also.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:18 PM

oh, those aren't vacumm lines, there coolant lines. And its safe to route them on eachother.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:20 PM

OK evolutions child, Those two holes are for the coolant system. Actually they don't cool they actually heat the tb up to prevent freezing in the coldest of climates. I'm not sure how the 1.8 beata are set-up but most likely when you look under your throttle body in your car you will see two hoses running out of it. Simply reroute those hoses to each other (a loop). There is no real need for them. If you want you can simply hook them up to the throttle body.
hope it helps, and welcome to the board.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:30 PM

One more question....(ironic I haven't learned anything yet...damn evolution) but the idle screw looks alot different. On the new one it's just a screw and a rubber covering, can I just cut off the connector on the wire and strip it, wrapping it around the screw? It just looks like a ground.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:07 AM

The idle screw is different on autos and manuals. That may be the problem. If your car is an auto, all of the aftermarket TBs are made for manuals. However, I had an auto and put a TB on it, which worked just fine...then I got rid of that slow ass auto and switched the tranny...sticks are so much more fun