Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Which is better...

Old 08-17-2002, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra
Default Which is better...

... for maximum power, the 1.8 or the 2.0 BETA? I think I've read somewhere that the 1.8 can rev higher but I know that the 2.0 has more displacement. So, what motor should be best?
Old 08-17-2002, 04:28 PM

2.0 beta... ther is no replacement for displacement, except boost, but being as ur asking for most hp capability it will always be a higher displacment engine, all other things being equal
Old 08-17-2002, 10:57 PM

I believe Random & Red have been discussing something similar to this already, as seen in this thread. Overbore of 1.8 to 2.0 would result in better b/s and r/s ratios than a 2.0.

[ August 18, 2002, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Frostbyte ]
Old 08-17-2002, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Dude!The 1.8 overbore is a labour-intensive option,which is gonna cost a bomb man! If you have the money avalible, then this is the best way to go along with a head that has been flow-matched to rev characteristic. This option is more common to race-only engine where modification to the block and crankshaft is permitted. Also for use on street engine which will not enter sanctioned motorsports, because some rules by santioning bodies may not permit this modification.

If you want power at minimal cost, then the 2.0 should fit the bill, because if you basically do not want to go turbo, it's way true that there is no replacement for displacement. If you are already considering a turbo kit, then check with the sanctioning bodies in your area, and see if the 1.8/2.0 overbore is allowed. The improved rev charcteristic will be more suited to turbocharging, and yeild a better hp/torque curve than the standard 2.0 even though you may have to run a higher boost setting.

If you want to go NA with the 1.8/2.0 hybrid block, and still get the power of 2.0, then again the option will be labour-intensive. Head, intake plenuim and exhaust manifold will have to be matched to rev characteristic, in order for best result to be taken in N/A. If you want to go turbocharged, then the other option stated by Random will be a good way to go(lowest compression, best of cost-effective)It will make problem for driving off-boost, but in the top-end of RPM range you can run higher boost pressure depending on piston type and wether stress-releiving operation has been done to the block and its reciprocating components.

Hope that helped a little.