Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Beta Ii Trans Swap. Help!

Old 09-24-2007 | 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I installed a Beta II transmission.

I have been having a recurring problem with my drivers side axle pulling out of the transmission, causing the transmission to leak gear oil from axle input seal.

It doesn't pull out all the way, just about a 1/4". I can reach under the car and snap it back in and I can't pull it out after that, but I have already swapped the axle circlip for a new one and it has happened again.

I can feel the axle springing back and trying to pull out of the trans, as if the inner cv boot has a spring inside it or something.

The axle is a rebuilt from auto zone, I have had it for years.

Does the Beta II trans swap put the drivers side axle input closer to the passengers side?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007 | 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

I had this problem when I installed my '00 elantra trans, only when I drove it really hard though. I figured it was the snap ring that was worn out on the cv shaft, but never got around to installing it. When I got my shafts replaced I got them for a '00 elantra just in case there was a difference.
Old 09-24-2007 | 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

they are the same as far as i know. mine does not have this problem
Old 09-24-2007 | 11:07 PM

mine doesnt have this problem either... wounder why it's happening to you.
Old 09-25-2007 | 12:22 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

i had this problem before and i changed the snap rings and it still did it. come to find out the diff was the problem, the seat where the snap ring sits was worn out.. i changed the diff and that fixed it.. but try everthing else before doing this..you can use diffrent cv joints with the tibby.. i will get back with you on that pm me.. there like 1~3 mm lenght diffrence..
Old 09-26-2007 | 02:57 PM

Thanks guys,

I thought the diff seat area was a little worn out by touch anyway.

I pushed the inner cv boot where it clamps to the axle toward the trans a bit and it no longer wants to pull out so maybe I am in the clear paranoid.gif .

Here is an interesting question and I am glad mad john is here for it:

Will the FWD mitsu eclispe diff work with an 05 elantra trans as it will for my 1.8L? Looking into a quaife if this problem persists and I think it is the one from that car, turbo or non turbo model though?

Oh, here is the reply I got from Quaife: Mitsubishi - Eclipse Front, Eclipse/Talon AWD Turbo 1990-99, Hyundai
Tiburon 1997-2001 76.309.150 $1,145.00

Thanks. cool.gif
Old 10-06-2007 | 08:39 AM

Hmmm, I'll have to keep an eye on mine more closely. So far no leakage, however I haven't really driven it much either.
Old 10-06-2007 | 10:44 AM

we never had a problem either with the beta2.

i agree with madjohn, its not cause of the type of trans, its probably more spicifically YOUR trans has the problem itself. time 4 LSD~ lol
Old 10-06-2007 | 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Sep 27 2007, 05:57 AM)
Thanks guys,

I thought the diff seat area was a little worn out by touch anyway.

I pushed the inner cv boot where it clamps to the axle toward the trans a bit and it no longer wants to pull out so maybe I am in the clear paranoid.gif .

Here is an interesting question and I am glad mad john is here for it:

Will the FWD mitsu eclispe diff work with an 05 elantra trans as it will for my 1.8L? Looking into a quaife if this problem persists and I think it is the one from that car, turbo or non turbo model though?

Oh, here is the reply I got from Quaife: Mitsubishi - Eclipse Front, Eclipse/Talon AWD Turbo 1990-99, Hyundai
Tiburon 1997-2001 76.309.150 $1,145.00

Thanks. cool.gif

That i am not sure my self. but here they use the diff evo1&2 the 2wd model when they order the lsd. i myself will be putting up a post. i need more infor on this diff issue
Old 10-29-2007 | 05:58 PM

It did it again today, WTF.

This is pissing me off.

I am about to say f-it and buy the quaife.

Damn.

I figured out what I THINK it is, lol.

The drivers side axle is an autozone axle, and the inner cv boot wants to compress and pull the axle out of the tranny.

I need a larger (more ribs) cv boot to prevent the trans side of the axle from being pulled out by the short boot.