Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

best air filter shape?

Old 03-25-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have the apexi, you do have to clean it every 25 000, just like K&N . says on the box
Old 03-25-2003, 10:49 AM

montana, where'd you get the filter and how much did you pay for it?
Old 03-25-2003, 12:36 PM

JRP, In Toronto, Canada
web page
Old 03-25-2003, 09:21 PM

Tony Montana:
Yeah I have the apexi, you do have to clean it every 25 000, just like K&N . says on the box
smile.gif
Old 03-26-2003, 12:42 AM

montana, what size pipe do you have the filter on? from what i saw on the apexi site, the universal one only comes in 80mm, which is about 3.15 inches.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:49 AM

I would go with a proven K+N filter.. although some swear by the ITG filters.

I saw a shoot out in an Australian magazine and the APEXi did not do so well. They compaired several filters for flow and filtering capabilities.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:44 PM

Trust, APEXI is nice.

Yeah it mounts on a 3" tube
This is a pic of mine, the battery is in the trunk.
There is mad room there then in the engine bay. I have access to a metal fabrication plant, so I made that wicked intake box to fit the cone filters. On the side there is another 3" intake hooked to another hose that attaches under the bumper to take in cold air. When I race I also take out the turn signal so the air goes strait to the filter. The box there acts like a ram air. Top of the box , to seal it from engine heat is covered with plexiglass.

with only that mod.

I have the template for the design still, with some modifications I would do If I made another, if anyone was interested? You have to relocate the battery to the trunk. It mounts to any 3" filter you use.

dunno

[ March 26, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Tony Montana ]
Old 03-26-2003, 04:25 PM

Tony Montana:
Trust, APEXI is nice.

Yeah it mounts on a 3" tube
This is a pic of mine, the battery is in the trunk.
There is mad room there then in the engine bay. I have access to a metal fabrication plant, so I made that wicked intake box to fit the cone filters. On the side there is another 3" intake hooked to another hose that attaches under the bumper to take in cold air. When I race I also take out the turn signal so the air goes strait to the filter. The box there acts like a ram air. Top of the box , to seal it from engine heat is covered with plexiglass.

with only that mod.

I have the template for the design still, with some modifications I would do If I made another, if anyone was interested? You have to relocate the battery to the trunk. It mounts to any 3" filter you use.

[IMG][/IMG]

dunno
Question, I dont see any slack in your piping.

You know that engine rolls back a good 2-3inches.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:50 PM

Shadohh ,

I think if I am understanding your question correctly, you are saying your engine is moving 2-3 inches? I would say to check your mounts because that seems a little extreme.
The engine does move a bit though,to compensate for that, the 3" 90 degree bends are connected to the air sensor & to the trrottle body with the blue silicone hose you see in the pic. above.
(Hose comes in yellow, red or blue)
It is quite flexable, and stretchable, this also makes it an easy install.
I am quite serious if anyone would like this setup, I will manufacture others. I need some scans done and I can post exactly close up shots of how it fits, and whats involved in installing it, if anyone is interested.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:18 PM

Erm, the movements been on most engines while on a dyno.

If you notice, most people who have done downs have mentions the amount of movements the engine does.

Its because hyundai has used very soft mounts and continues to do so.

My happily does not move. Since I have gone to a urethane based mount.

Maybe you should get someone to torque break your motor so you can see how much your engine moves?

[ March 28, 2003, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Shadohh ]