Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Belt Misaligned

Old 10-10-2005 | 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

ok here is the background, i took my car to a local shop to have them replace my timing belt. so a little bit later, maybe the week after that or two the car started to sqeel, like the belt wasn't tight, so i go to tighen the belt and i notice that the last groove is completely eaten off, the one closest to the engine. so i run to get a new belt and take it over to the shop to have him put it on (for free, hopfully) casue i was thinking it was something he did wrong. and the shop is closed for the entire week(prob fall break here) ok so i go home in hopes that i can do this myself and i did no problem. btw this belt is the belt that goes fromt the crank/alt/coolant pulleys(not sure what one that is ) so i get it on and crank the car everythign looks/sounds alright. so i rev it up and turn the car off it(the belt) has moved over a notch, just like the chewed up one was, is the pulleys not lining up or something what do i do, i am too afrain to drive it anywhere. it doesn't look like its right, did this shop do this or what? did he take any of theses off to replace the timeing belt? as soon as my dad gets home with the camera i'll take a picture. feedback pls.

edit: ok on closer inspection with hmaservice he did have to take the coolant pulley off so i am going to chech that right now!
Old 10-10-2005 | 12:17 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

do you have stock pulleys?

As far as I remember when I replaced timing belt, mechanics didn't remove pulleys, they removed only all belts.
Old 10-10-2005 | 02:12 PM

You have to remove the crank pulley. Inspect it real good, probably the crank pulley isn't aligned right or they screwed up the pulley itself.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

They may not have readjusted a tensioner too. Not having one on the belt might have caused it to slip out of the grooves. dunno.gif

Personally I wouldn't touch it anymore and wait until the shop opens up. Tell them you noticed the noises and just noticed the fraying. Get them to fix it right. fing02.gif
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:11 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I have to remove PS pump/pulley and belt to get to timing belt easily. I couldn't do it by just removing the PS belt.

My timing belt is slipping too, I gotta find out what it is.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:15 PM

Patreezy, if your timing belt is slipping... you already toasted your engine. Our engines are interference engines, if the belt slips, valves meet pistons in a most inglorious bang.

As for the original problem, I would definatly see if the crank pulley was properly installed. It is keyed and if it was not installed properly, the key will keep it from seating properly, which will push the pulley out some.. making it impossible to alighn the belts.

I agree.. do NOT drive it except to the shop that did the work. You are driving a ticking time bomb.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:20 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I see, not slipping in the sense it is missing sprockets but slipping horizontally off the crank pulley.

Like I puched it cabk all the way and tightened the tensiorner all the way, as needed, and it always slips away from the head until it is hanging off by about half a millimeter. But it is like 2 mm away from the head, where it is supposed to be. The belt is tight, and it doesn't slide over anymore than that, but whenever I push it back it will just slip again after 5 minutes of driving.

Maybe I installed crank pulley wrong, thx Mad.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 99 Tibron

i'll take a picture it seems the alt and the crank are aligned together and the coolant pulley is out away from the motor more, /or both the alt and crank are further in?!?!? i'll take a picture
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Well, maybe the guy that installed them forgot how they went on. If you can get a pic that might help.
Old 10-10-2005 | 08:02 PM

Please take a pic... I want to compare it to my own.

As for the timing belt Patreez, it is not going to fall off. The way the crank pulley is capturing it, the belt cannot go any further off of the end of the cam pulley.

Personally, I can tell you this much about the timing belt on the Hyundai, I was surprised when I saw the cam pulley did not have a guide. Unlike the DOHC unit in the Hyundai, my Fiat has a double pulley head, they have guides formed into the pulleys.. one on the back side (near the head) and one on the front to keep the belt in place.